Bottles

rainydaywoman_z8(8)August 23, 2010

Does anyone have a quick method of removing labels from wine bottles? I'm trying to get a new bottle tree made in a week. I was trying to hold out for a blue-bottle tree, but somehow, I just can't find enough, so now I'm using whatever I can find.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nanatricia

I just score them and soak them in soapy water most of the time it works .When it does not I scrape what is left with razer blade .Then clean up goo b gone or windex.

Bookmark   August 23, 2010 at 11:40PM
luna_llena_feliz

This will sound weird but I have used nail polish remover too. Just be careful of what you use it on so it doesn't remove the color too. It doesn't work on lucite (clear or colored plastic) either (scratches it).

Bookmark   August 24, 2010 at 2:23AM
rock_oak_deer(8b TX)

Soak and scrape, soak and scrape, then use goo b gone and nail polish remover on the residue.

If you continuously scrape off the wet part of the label the water will get to the dry underside part faster. Some labels are stuck harder than others, but they will all eventually come off.

Bookmark   August 24, 2010 at 10:46AM
mmebrady

Goo gone is great stuff. Works really well.

Bookmark   August 24, 2010 at 11:26AM
ladycraft(6b MO)

I agree with soak. I use hot water.

Bookmark   August 24, 2010 at 4:24PM
kirkus(5a)

Yes...soak in hot water, scrape, soak, scrape... I've also used WD-40 to get some of the sticky glue off. :o) Good Luck! Bear Hugs! Kirk

Bookmark   August 24, 2010 at 7:16PM
bluestar_tam

I soak in hot soapy water, using Dawn with Powerscrubbers in it and it works wonderfully!!! Can also use a non-abrasive scrubby pad on it for the glue if you get too antsy lol

Bookmark   August 24, 2010 at 7:31PM
spedigrees z4VT

I let Mother Nature remove the labels from my bottles. It takes about a year. There are so many pretty wine labels out there that I am usually sad to see them go.

Bookmark   August 26, 2010 at 11:19AM
Calamity_J(z7bc)

I use a wallpaper scorer, the kind you use to get wallpaper off your wall? It helps to do that to the bottle before you soak it, it only takes 1/2 the time that way!

Bookmark   September 8, 2010 at 6:36PM
tlfox(7b-8a)

I use non-stick spray, like Pam, after I score it with an exacto knife. You can also use liquid fabric softener mixed 50/50 with water in a spray bottle (also good for removing wallpaper).

Bookmark   September 8, 2010 at 9:59PM
nancelee

I like to fill the bottles with HOT water with them sitting in the kitchen sink. Just leave them alone for awhile. This warms up the glue and most times the label will peel right off bringing the goo with it. Just have patience and remember to remove the label while the bottle is still pretty warm, peeling from a corner.

Nancy

Bookmark   September 10, 2010 at 1:21AM
jeannespines

Soak in hot water with Dawn soap, score the label first...then if I have any glue residue left, I spray "Pledge" furniture polish on it...let sit& then wash off. Works for me...thanks for all the other ideas in this post, GJers. Jeanne S.

Bookmark   September 10, 2010 at 12:20PM
More Discussions
Dehydrator trays
Does anyone have ideas for recycling food dehydrator...
hokypuk
msn garden junk-sad
As some of you know, MSN is closing! I am sorry to...
nonacook
Recycling old purses in the garden!
I would have never thought of this myself! I sure wish...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
Changing landscape
We moved in 15 years ago. In the process of cutting...
arcy_gw
Changing Landscape part TWO
The time has come. A new idea is a must come spring....
arcy_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™