Ariens Engine Replacement

willamingoMay 14, 2010

I have an Ariens model 911019, 21" self propelled with a 5hp Tecumseh engine. The engine is shot and I am considering replacing it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I like the mower. The self propelled is sturdy. The bag fills evenly and is a good size. It has good lift.

Briggs, Tecumseh, Honda, Kawasaki?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rolm

All the above engines will fit. The key thing to look at is The length of the shaft and the thickness of the shaft. If you get an engine with the same specs as indicated, it will be plug and play a 20 minute job if not then you will have to fart around and make changes.

Bookmark   May 14, 2010 at 11:05AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bluemower

As suggested by Rolm, get the shaft length and diameter off the original engine.

A replacement Tecumseh would be the best choice - except Tecumseh is out of business. If you do find another Tecumseh, replacement parts such as carburetors are drying up.

For this reason, a Briggs Quantum may be your best, most ecomnomical choice. These are available in all types of shaft sizes. The bolt pattern is the same as the original engine. The Briggs Quantum is fairly inexpensive and is a good running engine with reasonable power. There are tons of these in the boneyards that could be refurbished for a servicing fee.

The Honda GC is another good engine, but will not is not as common in the various mower shops. A new engine would probably need to be ordered from the distributors. This engine is more expensive than the Briggs.

The Kawasaki is a premium engine that would be expensive

Bookmark   May 14, 2010 at 7:54PM
More Discussions
Tru-cut Reel Clutch Adjustment
I've owned this guy since new (1979). Beyond normal...
runner70
Bad ignition coil magneto on Tecumseh
Is there a more economical solution to replacing a...
don_v
need a mower
Hi. I'm trying to find a decent self propelled walk...
mjgarden1
B&S OHV 6.5 won't start
If I prime the engine 5/6 times it starts on the second...
mvron
john deere RX75 belt diagram
I have a Rx75 with 9hp motor. I bought it used and...
jeremy_2010
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™