fertilizing new sod????

jos14hJune 3, 2007

My tall fescue sod has been down for 1 month now. There was no starter fertilizer put down at the time by the company yet it has really come in nice.

My question is what type of fertilizer do I go with now. I have used the scott 4 step fertilizers in the past. The temps in cincinnati this week are in the low 80's.

Do I apply:

1) starter fertilizer

2) Balance fertilizer (i.e. 15-15-15) some sod websites recommend this type

3) Scott's turfbuilder

4) Scott's summerguard fertilizer or step 3

Thanks,

JM

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
billhill(z5 MI - KBG)

ThatÂs a good question Jos14h. You may get several opinions, some conflicting. HereÂs mine. I would put down Milorganite following the package instructions. ItÂs a little more costly than the pure chemical types, but it is a gentle, slow release, organic fertilizer. It will not burn your lawn and you can put it apply it anytime without the need to water it in. You might consider organic lawn maintenance if you want the best performance from your lawn. Soybean meal purchased from a feed supplier is an excellent fertilizer and is cost effective as well. Good luck with your new lawn, and keep it watered this summer.

Bookmark   June 3, 2007 at 9:05AM
mudman72785(z5NY)

For now just put down some kind of regular fertilizer. You don't want to use weed killer until after you have mowed 3 or 4 times.

Bookmark   June 3, 2007 at 12:48PM
Billl(z7 nc)

It's getting a bit close to summer for major fertilization, but I would probably still do it since you didn't put anything out at the time of instillation. Since the temps are warm already, I would go with an organic fertilizer or a half strength dose of synthetic. The growth rate will naturally slow down in the heat of summer, so it is a good practice not to over-fertilize at that time.

Bookmark   June 4, 2007 at 1:50PM
ronalawn82(z9FL)

jos14h, an organic (farmyard) type of material is best because they work best in the summer temperatures and have a low nutrient content. 'Milorganite' is such a product. If later on you need additional 'greening up' you could put down a synthetic like ammonium sulfate. Use a low rate like 1/4 lb. N per thousand sq.ft. which will give color to the grass and give the microbes something to process.

Bookmark   June 4, 2007 at 2:18PM
More Discussions
New Ant Hill on top of Grass Seedlings
I put down a layer of topsoil in my front lawn before...
mikec
Need help with a disaster!
So we just moved in to our new home my wife fell in...
Roland Sanchez
Applying Prodiamine with Backpack Sprayer
Hi All- Hoping Morph or another GW expert can help...
BondBull
where do I even start with this hot mess of a yard?
Hi! New to the forums, been a lurker for years! We...
chelseahasrouni
Need help with grass type for southern CA
My lawn went bad last summer...bare spots, brown, etc....
mschug
Sponsored Products
Marina 7 Piece Outdoor Patio Teak Sofa Set in Natural White
$2,061.00 | LexMod
PLC Lighting Outdoor Lighting. 2-Light Outdoor Silver Wall Sconce with Matte Opa
Home Depot
Zebra Border Rug (5'2 x 7'4)
Overstock.com
Sculptural Leaf Cast Iron Shelf Bracket
Signature Hardware
Soft-tex CoolMAX Body Pillow - 90053
$39.99 | Hayneedle
Glitterazzi International Spain Santa Ornament
$64.95 | FRONTGATE
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™