Honda Lawnmower: Self Propulsion Won't Work

john59(6a)May 18, 2009

I have a 9 year old Honda 215 Harmony SDA, 3 speed, self propelled.

The drive belt came off, which I managed to get back on both pulleys, using surgical pliers. The problem is that when I engage the drive bar to go forward, it doesn't self propel.

What's wrong ? What do I do ? Help, the grass is getting tall and the repair shop has a 3 week backlog.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jgreissi

Several things can be wrong. The drive belt should not come off on its own. There is a key on the crankshaft that makes the pulley on the crankshaft turn. It could be sheared. The belt could be too worn to work anymore. They do wear and the wedge shaped profile gets too thin. There is a spring from the mower deck to the transmission that can break. The cable from the handle to the transmission has a dogleg on the end that engages the clutch in the trans. That too can break.

Bookmark   May 19, 2009 at 11:22AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jakepea

Just found the site and can see how helpful it can be. I have a 215 and just discovered the belt was off the drive pulley. It does not seem obvious on how to get it back on without taking the thing apart. What did you wind up doing after your last post.

Bookmark   June 29, 2009 at 12:35PM
More Discussions
Craftsman ZTS 7500
Going to look at a used one of these tomorrow. Anything...
radlee30458
I have a Tecumseh 5hp egine no spark
I measure the ohms from the following. I placed one...
Nutty1269
need a mower
Hi. I'm trying to find a decent self propelled walk...
mjgarden1
Mclane 20" mower at Sears... why so inexpensive?
Hey everyone, I want to get yall's input on a mower...
bobbarker14
Honda HRX217
Had it for 10 years and is the best mower I ever had....
bob3d
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™