Natural seeding of lawn

krnuttleJune 1, 2011

In the past I have avoided mowing when the grass is going to seed on the idea that the grass growing from the new natural seed will improve the quality of the yard.

What are your opinions of this practice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

What kind of grass and seed are we talking about?

Bookmark   June 1, 2011 at 10:13AM
tuck479

.....you know, before I started reading this board, I used to let my Bermuda grow tall enough until the whole yard was covered with the seed heads. I would then adjust the mower to just clip the seed heads thinking that this would be a weekly natural seeding of my Bermuda. I have no idea if that is even true or not, just an assumption. I have now realized that allowing the seed heads means that my Bermuda is waaaay to high. On the link provided someone stated that hybrid Bermuda seed heads are sterile anyway....

Here is a link that might be useful: How does one identify Bermuda by type?

Bookmark   June 1, 2011 at 10:36AM
krnuttle

This house was built in 1968 in Indianapolis In., and I have owned it for about 8 years. I looked at the link posted and believe I have either a different grass or a hybrid Bermuda. I did not realize that grass seed was a mostly hybrid, and the seed would be root and probably go to a courser grass.

So I will cut before the seed heads appear and buy grass seed.

Thank yo

Bookmark   June 1, 2011 at 1:57PM
nearandwest(7)

I seriously doubt that you have bermudagrass in Indianapolis. It would be helpful if you could post a picture.

Bookmark   June 1, 2011 at 2:13PM
Billl(z7 nc)

In zone 5, you definitely don't have bermuda - most likely Kentucky Bluegrass.

As for letting the grass go to seed, it is pretty useless. Grass seed takes an extended period of time to mature. Even if it does mature, many grasses don't set viable seed. Even if it is viable, most grass doesn't come true from seed. Even if it does come true from seed, most grass requires weeks of constant watering to produce decent seeding results. The deck is really stacked against just letting nature do its thing. After all, you never see a "natural" field of 1 particular grass growing with the density of a lawn.

Bookmark   June 1, 2011 at 3:52PM
More Discussions
Bermudagrass seeds from big box store
I had great luck with a certain name brand seed last...
ReelJake
Grass & pine straw in winter
Part of my yard St Augustine grass, much of which is...
tao55
Synthetic rattan or Natural rattan furniture?
Guys, I would like to know your opinion. Which do you...
kevin497
Lawn drainage on the cheap?
My husband and I bought a house in November, and have...
galiana
St Augustine grass problems
Hello all-- I live in Florida on the gulf coast with...
mike153
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™