Homelite String Trimmer Fuel Tank Help

diytryingMay 13, 2009

I have an old string trimmer (ut15151 or 54) that has never had any problems. However, the little filter inside the fuel tank has broken off the gas line. I was going to replace the whole fuel tank but haven't been able to find one so far. Is it necessary to do that or is there another fix?

Thank you for any advice....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ggoyeneche

You should be able to replace the fuel line, fish the old filter out of the tank, and reuse with the new line.

Two things to keeep in mind. You need special fuel grade PVC Tubing. Tygon brand is yellow and fairly expensive at $.75 to $1.00 a foot. The clear stuff at Home Depot and Lowes is OK with fuel and much cheaper ($.15 - $.20/ft) but the sizing usually won't work. Correct tubing from McMaster-Carr in Tygon is 5555K43 9/64 OD x 5/64 ID and 5555K22 3/16 OD x 3/32 ID. Both are about $.75 per foot. You need to measure which one is appropriate for your machine. Size is critical, because too big and you won't get it into the tank; too small and the tank will leak where the tubing passes thru.

Second item is to install in tank. Homelite like other cheaper trimmers does not use a fitting in the tank. Rather fuel line passes through smaller hole in tank and pressure on tubing maintains the seal. To install you need to cut tubing at a 45 degree or more angle to provide a sharp point. Thread this thru the hole by twisting and pushing gently. When you get enough through, you can then grab the end with needle-nose pliers and pull more through. Cut the end off square and push on the filter/pickup stone. Then pull the excess tubing back out of the tank, leaving enough of a service loop to permit the stone always travel by gravity to the lowest part of the tank. Usually three inches is about right. Now connect the other end to the carburetor or purge, and you should be good to go.

Bookmark   May 13, 2009 at 4:57PM
diytrying

Thank you very much! It was great of you to take the time to provide all the details (which I couldn't find elsewhere) and I've printed your message to take with me on the "hunt".
There isn't enough slack on the old line to pull it up enough to reattach the filter so I'll just pull it out and give Lowe's and HD a try first since they are close. The existing length is much less than a foot...far cheaper at any of the alternatives than anything else I have to repair!

Bookmark   May 15, 2009 at 2:32PM
jasper60103

I wanted to add this thread was very helpful to me as well. I found the fuel line at a local Ace hardware store and threaded it through the tank as stated above. The trimmer is now working like a champ. Thanks again.

Bookmark   June 2, 2010 at 10:23AM
shaggnasty

I just did this a week ago on my cheapo Homelite. My fuel filter looked pretty nasty, so I got a new one...I think it was like $1.50 or something.

Bookmark   June 2, 2010 at 3:46PM
More Discussions
Hayter Harrier 41 - will not start now?!?!?
Model 12S802 Type 0905-1 Serial 97030559 I have had...
changyuk
Husqvarna 150bt blower running lean - harder to start
Blower is taking 3 - 5 pulls to start when it used...
edge
Sears 6.75 B&S 21" push mower
My 6.75 B&S engine is surging all the time I'm...
gramontj
Need Recommendations For Inexpensive Gas Push Mower With Mulch Bag
I think it's time to retire our old mower, which is...
mimipadv
Toro 22" Recycler can't get it started! Please help!
Hi Everyone, So I inherited a 6 month old Toro 22"...
enigma7
Sponsored Products
ELK Lighting Walden 65121-1 Sconce - 11W in. - Aged Pewter - 65121-1
$118.00 | Hayneedle
Indoor Ceiling Fans: Westinghouse Quince 24 in. Gun Metal Ceiling Fan 7224300
$78.95 | Home Depot
Catnapper Embrace Power Lift Recliner with Heat and Massage - 4846 2067-40
$969.00 | Hayneedle
Sterling Economy NI3196A-38S/W 18.25W x 72H in. Rain Glass Shower Module Multico
$765.95 | Hayneedle
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs So
Home Depot
Remer by Nameeks TE18US Single Hole Bathroom Faucet - REMER TE18US
$124.99 | Hayneedle
FANMATS Door Mats University of Wisconsin 18 in. x 30 in. Door Mat Team Colors
$14.88 | Home Depot
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Dynamix Rugs Majestic Burgundy 9 ft.
Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™