Black Max lawnmower - any good?

emucomMay 9, 2008

While shopping at Sams Club, I came across a Black Max push mower (powered by Honda) GV160 engine. Anyone have any experience with those? They look like this...

Made by "HOP" not familiar with that company...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rdaystrom

It may an be OK mower but it's front wheel drive. Not something I'd opt for but people use them. It's equipped with a Honda.... good engine.

Bookmark   May 10, 2008 at 2:18AM
doo_hauler

My concern would be, If you need service where do you go? What about warranty issues? Who is building this for Sams Club? Department store mowers are a crap shoot, roll the dice and hope all goes well.

I would rather purchase from an actual dealer of a specific brand knowing that I can obtain service from them.

My .02

Bookmark   May 13, 2008 at 10:04PM
wilburludd_hughes_net

The Engine is good. The rest of it is of very poor Quality. First time I used it the discharge deflector broke off. The second time i used it the rear skirt broke off and got caught in the blades and chewed it up. The third time i used the the control bar to engage the self-propeled function keeps coming out of the handle. Today the fourth time i used it one of the rear wheels broke off at the bolt that hold it on. Also one of the handle knobs is stripped out and will not stay tight. Also you might want to look real close at the repair parts manuel, there is no phone number or web site to contact anyboby. Just a mailing address. As if they do not want anybody to be able to contact them in regards to any problems the be having with their product.

Bookmark   June 20, 2011 at 2:59PM
SkaTroma

Wow, I just used it for the 3rd time ever and the rear wheel broke off. The plastic around the wheel completely broke in half as I was walking along. I was on flat ground and the grass was fairly short, I was just topping it off really and the friggin' wheel broke off. I havent tried to take it back to Sams yet, Im sure that will be a treat.

Bookmark   June 29, 2011 at 4:24PM
sherridhunt_yahoo_com
    Bookmark   July 1, 2011 at 1:32AM
SkaTroma

FOLLOW-UP POST:

I took my blackmax back to Sams and they gave me no hassle about returning my money, and the best part was, the sales associate said mine was the 3rd Blackmax to come in with a broken wheel. Sounds like a recurring issue!

Bookmark   July 2, 2011 at 3:07AM
dicklott2-temp_yahoo_com

One of the rear wheels fell off (plastic wheel) the 4th time I used the mower. I returned it to SAM's club with no problems...other than the standard lines and waiting at SAM's.

Bookmark   July 14, 2011 at 12:45AM
rrochester(7)

I also have had problems with the rear wheel breaking at the axle hole. Mine has broken when the mower is used on a bank where weight is put on one wheel or the other. I've replaced one wheel (after warranty of course) already. I've had the mower about three years now and the other wheel has broken. This is definitely poor engineering. There's just not enough material on the wheel at the axle interface. They need to design a more robust rear wheel. I haven't had any other problems other than this. The engine is very reliable but I expected no less from Honda.

Bookmark   September 7, 2013 at 8:27AM
mor1234

No much mystery about this mower. HOP is Husqavarma Outdoor Products. THey get sold under thier own name at Home Depot and other places and by Sears as Craftsman. HOP is a division of Electrolux who makes lots of things including Fridgaire. At Sears and Home Depot the mower comes with a Briges engine And for more money the Honda. Decent mid level mower. Likely 1/2 you block using it under different names. Parts are easy once you know it is a craftsman.

Bookmark   November 27, 2014 at 9:37AM
rrochester(7)

I purchased my mower about 4 years ago. I too had one of the rear wheels crack where it goes on the axle. The plastic hubs are a poor design to handle the weight of the mower, especially when you mow horizontally on a bank. Rather than pay nearly $50 for a replacement wheel (my model had larger rear wheels than the ones in your photo), I bought a third party replacement with a metal hub for about the same money. Other than that, the Honda engine is very reliable. Documentation for the mower is not par with high quality organizations. The handle bar could use a re-design to ergonomically accommodate the safety bar which you have to hold to the handle to keep the engine running. Some padding on the handle where your hands go would also be an improvement.

Bookmark   November 27, 2014 at 11:50PM
More Discussions
Hayter Harrier 41 - will not start now?!?!?
Model 12S802 Type 0905-1 Serial 97030559 I have had...
changyuk
Lawnboy circa 1967 aquanaut/air buoy evinrude parts
Hi. I am wondering if anyone could be of assistance....
sirlancair
Charger for/charging a Toro GTS 6.75 hp
I recently acquired a several year old Toro GTS 6.75...
bkay2000
Looking to replace the LB
I've been using a 2003 Lawnboy 10323 for over a decade...
pacochu
Kohler Knowledge
I am replacing my 2nd B&S 23HP engine on a Simplicity...
wekjo
Sponsored Products
Two-Light Black Outdoor Wall Lantern with Seeded Glass
$188.10 | Bellacor
Denby Jet Tumbler - Set of 4 - DENB256
$49.98 | Hayneedle
Cirrus Float T1 Lens End Feed Suspension
Lightology
Chic Home Zebra Style Black Reversible Comforter - 02CTZEBRA-HE
$39.99 | Hayneedle
Amelia 6 Stem Pendant
Lightology