question about grass cutting

corvairbob(5b)June 1, 2014

now cutting grass is easy but can some one tell me how long to wait after the seed start to appear before cutting so i can use that seed for reseeding the lawn? i used to wait a week before i cut my grass after the seed appeared but some one told me i could just go ahead and cut it at the regular intervals and it would not matter. we last year i did that but i so far this year i just can't tell if it worked. otherwise i wait for around 2 to 3 weeks after the seed shows. and by fall the lawn was full. my lawn is full now but i installed new sprinklers this year and i have the trails where the lines run now and i want the grass seed to help dill those spots in faster. and anyway why buy seed if i get it free from the lawn. now my yard is a week old from the last mowing and the seed is plentiful.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

What kind of grass do you have?
How high/low do you mow?
Where do you live?

Just out of curiosity, what schedule are your new sprinklers on? How often and how long do you water?

Bookmark   June 1, 2014 at 1:15PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yardtractor1

This question has puzzled me. It just struck me, Are you asking how long you need to allow the grass to grow for the seed heads to mature and become viable? If so, turf seed farms harvest seed in late June/early July. Seed heads develop in May, so about 5--8 weeks. Way too long to not mow.

Bookmark   June 4, 2014 at 6:41PM
More Discussions
Why would my neighbor's yard be snowless?
I know this isn't really related to lawn care specifically,...
asm198 - Zone 6a (MO)
I need a lawn "redo". More weeds than grass and more...
Here's the skinny. We live in Jacksonville, FL. Everybody...
Rich Possert
New bermuda sod just installed
It is 30 degrees here and I was told to water every...
420benz
Problem with St. Augustine grass
Hi! I live in the north of Portugal (Hardiness Zone...
Kratus
Poa Annua already making it's jump!
PA typically comes up here in April, we're mid Feb...
gsweater
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™