Toro 22' mower starts but then stalls. HELP!

jracmmMay 17, 2009

Ok guys, i hope someone will look at this. I have a 2005 Toro 22" Self-propelled Recycler mower (Model 20005) and I was horrible about proper storage and maintenance for 3 or 4 years. I just changed the oil, spark plug, air filter, and used gum-out on the carb and the thing will start but immediately stalls. I found that if I continue to push the primer it will keep running. But as soon as I stop priming it, it stalls. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN!!!??? HELP!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ericwi

Our Yardman did the same thing last week. The most likely cause is residue from gasoline that evaporated in the carb, over the winter. I was able to partially disassemble the carb, and clean it with spray solvent. I used LiquidWrench because that is what I had on hand. You can pick up a spray can of carb cleaner at an auto parts store. With the air cleaner off, you might be able to keep the engine going by spraying carb cleaner directly into the venturi, after starting the engine with the primer. Our mower is not quite right yet, but I was able to mow the lawn OK. I mixed some liquid carb cleaner with the gas, and I expect the carb to eventually get 100% clean, with use.

Bookmark   May 17, 2009 at 6:47PM
baymee(LehighValleyPA)

Most likely you'll have to remove the bowl nut, under the carb's bowl. You'll most likely find varnish in the jet, or maybe water. These are some typical jets, Tecumseh. Briggs, similar.

Bookmark   May 17, 2009 at 7:40PM
jracmm

Baymee,

You are the BOMB!!!! The first picture you included was mine. I had no idea that the "Jets" that I have seen people talking about in other posts are just holes in the Brass screw holding the bowl in place!!! I cleaned those with a bread tie wire and sprayed the hell out of it with carb cleaner and it runs like brand freaking new!!! I am so thankful for this website!!! I LOVE AL GORE for creating the Internet!!! Ha Ha!

Bookmark   May 19, 2009 at 12:24PM
theroyal1

I joined just to say thank you for asking and posting the answer to my issue.

But for those who don't know where to look for this on the 20005 TORO. It is underneath the Round part which is right in front of the paper air filter on the side.
Be careful when you take it off though as gas can leak all over.
Drain it and Tip it on it's side before removing the bowl nut.

When I took mine out I saw some gunk so I wiped it and blew into it....I will be cleaning it properly but just needed to get it working asap..

Thanx Again!!

Bookmark   July 20, 2009 at 7:26PM
jw2par_yahoo_com

Hey thank you guys a LOT!!!!!!!! Had my Mom's mower sitting up for years ! Clean the jets now it run good and strong . The three different post HELP out big time .

Bookmark   March 19, 2011 at 3:20PM
jags_ten_yahoo_com

Thanks for the info cleaned the jets and runs. I will have to clean the carb to get it running at its best.

Bookmark   July 27, 2011 at 12:43AM
mickdawg89

Tip worked beautifully, saved alot of frustration and money for a new mower

Bookmark   September 3, 2012 at 6:20PM
bluesrocker22

All,
I thought my carb was shot, so I replaced it. Still, start but no run (and had to use starting fluid). THEN!!! I noticed the spring to the "rev limiter" (just below and towards rear of carb) was not "tight". The stupid bracket that holds the end of that spring had been bent down ~1/16" and that caused all this heartache. CHECK YOUR REV LIMITER!!!

Bookmark   August 27, 2014 at 7:30PM
More Discussions
Honda Mower Problem-Backfire thru Carb?
I have a Honda walk behind that has been awsome until...
jteekell
Toro 22" Recycler can't get it started! Please help!
Hi Everyone, So I inherited a 6 month old Toro 22"...
enigma7
Sears 6.75 B&S 21" push mower
My 6.75 B&S engine is surging all the time I'm...
gramontj
Hayter Harrier Pro Roller Problems
Hi folks, I have just taken apart my hayter harrier...
timkodd
airens 1534 mini zoom no crank
I've got a 15hp Briggs motor that I attempted to jump...
baldo6878
Sponsored Products
Radionic Hi Tech Inc. 54-Watt 1-Lamp T5 High Power Factor Electronic Replacement
$69.99 | Home Depot
AICO Furniture - Villagio 12 Piece Dining Room Set in Hazelnut -...
Great Furniture Deal
Kinsey Corinthian Bronze Five-Light Chandelier
$192.00 | Bellacor
Schonbek Jasmine Optic Crystal 22 1/2" Wide Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Joy Antique Bronze Three-Light Bath Fixture with Etched Light Umber Glass Shades
$98.01 | Bellacor
Progress Lighting Outdoor Lanterns. Roman Coach Collection Wall Mount Outdoor An
$81.90 | Home Depot
Winston Tuscany Cast Aluminum Round Bar Table - MTUS-043
Hayneedle
JOOLA USA 12 Piece Training Table Tennis Balls - 44205
$14.99 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™