Hint for 2006 Intek OHV not starting when hot

kenmc5(USDA 5)May 12, 2013

I just want to pass along a helpful hint I received from my local Snapper repair shop. I have a 2006 Snapper HiVac with a BS Intek 6.75. When I purchased the mower the previous owner stated it would not start when hot which is what I experienced the first year. I heard this was typical and bought the mower anyway for fall leaf mulching (BTW with gator blade is great). Always stated first or second pull when cold and runs great.

I really like the mower so I called my local dealer to see if there was possibly an engine swap or to purchase a new commercial model. He stated he had fixed this problem several times with a new spark plug model RC12YC gapped at 25-28 vs. 30-32. I purchased this plug It was gapped at 32 out of the box. I reduced the gap to 26. Used today for the first time and it started first pull when hot several times. Thought I would pass this hint along.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bill_kapaun

If reducing the gap "solved" the problem, it means the coil was getting weak when hot.

Bookmark   May 12, 2013 at 5:19PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tomplum

Your logic on this Bill is good, except that some 12" Inteks are just not plain logical! I've been around the barrel on twio of these that were never rectified. .025" plug gap, .020" plug gap, e plug, reset valve lash, replaced the coil, verify throttle wasn't closing , sweared at , check flywheel key, sweared at again..... These are such great engines and I am very happy for the OP that the short gap fixed him up. But then a stubborn one appears!

Bookmark   May 12, 2013 at 10:27PM
More Discussions
Sears 6.75 B&S 21" push mower
My 6.75 B&S engine is surging all the time I'm...
gramontj
Charger for/charging a Toro GTS 6.75 hp
I recently acquired a several year old Toro GTS 6.75...
bkay2000
Hayter Harrier 41 - will not start now?!?!?
Model 12S802 Type 0905-1 Serial 97030559 I have had...
changyuk
Bolen mower
I have a 2010 Bolen model: 13WC762Fo65/ 317737/ 38"...
Scott Walker
Need Recommendations For Inexpensive Gas Push Mower With Mulch Bag
I think it's time to retire our old mower, which is...
mimipadv
Sponsored Products
White 13-Oz. Handheld Steamer
$21.99 | zulily
Namaste Buddha Painting
$159.99 | Dot & Bo
Feiss Hugenot Lake One Light Wall Sconce
Lamps Plus
Franklin Brass Shower Enclosures 32 in. x 63-1/2 in. Framed Pivot Shower Door
Home Depot
Campania International Antique Bulldog Garden Statue - A-456-AL
$639.99 | Hayneedle