McLane 17' Hand Push Greens Mower

dwrecktorMay 13, 2010

Even though I don't have a putting green, is it ok to use this mower at its higher setting, like 3/4"-1", to cut my bermuda lawn? The reason I like this mower over the regular McLane push reels is because it has a front roller, and since my lawn is a little bumpy, I figured it would help w/ the scalping. Also, down the road, I might get ambitious and put in a home putting green, so I could use it then at its lowest setting. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Here is the link to the mower:

http://www.outsidepride.com/reel-mowers/putting-green-reel-mower.html

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wrager(Z5 OH)

Sure. You may have to cut 2-3 times a week to keep it that low.

Bookmark   May 17, 2010 at 8:05AM
dwrecktor

Thanks wrager, yeah I'm already cutting 2x a week w/ current push reel now. I believe I've ask you before in another thread about how you like your mclane push mower. Did I read in some other thread that you now have a powered tru-cut? If so how would compare the quality of cut between the two.

Bookmark   May 17, 2010 at 12:09PM
tomg(NC)

I used to cut my bermuda with a push reel. I switched to a Tru Cut and the cut quality is infintely better with the Tru Cut - no comparison really.

Bookmark   May 19, 2010 at 5:38PM
dwrecktor

Hey tomg, let me ask you this. Hypothetically speaking, if you had two reel mowers, one push & one powered, both have equal number of blades & are equally sharp, what makes the powered one's cut better than the push one? Speed of spinning blades?

Bookmark   May 20, 2010 at 1:56AM
tomg(NC)

In my opinion it's speed and torque. It seemed like I could never get my manual up to speed (especially when cutting around beds), and when I did (to your point) it started bouncing around and not really cutting. I'd have to go over the yard 2 or 3 times to get an even, acceptable cut. The Tru Cut just plows through the bermuda and cuts it like butter. It's really an amazing cut.

Bookmark   May 20, 2010 at 7:42AM
rosemallow(z7 Md)

Does the front roller smash the grass down making it harder to cut?
I live in Maryland and I don't see anyone selling McLane products.
I have been interested in trying a powered reel, but I would like to try one first.

Bookmark   May 21, 2010 at 12:33PM
More Discussions
Bad ignition coil magneto on Tecumseh
Is there a more economical solution to replacing a...
don_v
snow throwing
older blower. 7hp, 24" width, 14" auger....
joe_mn
john deere RX75 belt diagram
I have a Rx75 with 9hp motor. I bought it used and...
jeremy_2010
Craftsman ZTS 7500
Going to look at a used one of these tomorrow. Anything...
radlee30458
B&S OHV 6.5 won't start
If I prime the engine 5/6 times it starts on the second...
mvron
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™