Glass totems

verna.lynnSeptember 24, 2011

Can anyone help me find a better way to glue my glass totems together? I have been using Quick Grip and after a few rainy days, some of them have fell apart! I',m just sick! I reapplied the glue and ran a bead of aquarium silicone around the glue. Will that work? I live in Illinois and we alot of rain and humidity. The ones I gave as gifts is so embarrassing! Please help! I also added a solar light in the tops of mine! :) Thanks!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
laurastheme(8)

About 99% of us use GE silicone for windows and doors with good luck.

Bookmark   September 24, 2011 at 5:24PM
Purplemoon

Yep, the GE Silcone II (clear) for windows and doors is THE best I think. My totems have been solid for years, thru rain and 118 degrees, and some freezing nights occasionally. I love it.
Be careful buying it from Walmart tho, sometimes its 'out of date' and then it doesn't work good. The tubes are dated so you can check them.

hugs, Karen

Bookmark   September 24, 2011 at 7:22PM
laurastheme(8)

That's true. About a year and a half ago I bought some from Walmart that was outdated. I didn't know it until I got it home. I took it back and noticed that all the tubes were outdated. I've purchased it there numerous times since then with no problem, but I always check the date before I bring it home. It's really hard to see. It's indented in small numbers on the bottom end of the tube.

Bookmark   September 25, 2011 at 2:10AM
verna.lynn

Thank you all so much! I bought GE Silicone 11 and it seems to be working perfectly. I took apart the ones I had used Quick Grip on and used it on them too. Now I feel confident that they won't fall apart when we get those steamy hot summers and freezing winters. Thanks again!!!

Bookmark   October 7, 2011 at 9:32AM
jeannespines

I've only made a couple things ... used GE silicone II ...but living in IA, I put them in the garden shed in the Winter...it's cold but out of the snow & ice. Good luck! Jeanne S.

Bookmark   October 7, 2011 at 11:03AM
flowers12

Isn't it difficult to get a narrow bead to come out of the tube? I haven't tried it yet but I got used to using E-6000 and I can get a smooth narrow stream of glue with the tube. I used one of the silicones once and got just a big thick gob to come out.
Thanks for your help.
Marilyn

Bookmark   October 7, 2011 at 12:26PM
jeannespines

You can buy Silicone II in large tubes or small ones ...I've only used the large tube but read of many who use the small one & then nothing is wasted by getting too old. Jeanne S.

Bookmark   October 9, 2011 at 12:33PM
ga_karen

flowers 12, it depends on how you cut the end off the tube. Cut is near the tip and at an angle & it won't come out in a blob...it will come out in a thin line as long as you keep the tube moving.

Bookmark   October 9, 2011 at 4:09PM
flowers12

Karen, thanks for the tip. I guess I'm used to using the silicone for projects with my hubby and didn't give much thought. Next time I'll follow your suggestion and I'm sure I'll be able to use it easily.
Marilyn

Bookmark   October 11, 2011 at 5:17PM
Adnan23

I also used GE Silicone to glue my glass lantern and it did wonders for me.I recommend GE Silicone to everyone who breaks glasses a lot :) like me

Here is a link that might be useful: glass lantern

Bookmark   October 17, 2011 at 7:53AM
posieh(3)

I did the same thing and it says "Quick Grip" is water proof. You can find silicone glue in tubes also.

Bookmark   October 17, 2011 at 5:27PM
More Discussions
Christmas Bottle Tree
I finally got around to making a Christmas bottle tree...
lindasewandsew
Hi all
I couldn't edit the subject...sorry ... I was thinking...
msjay2u
Need to repurpose a leaking birdbath
Yesterday was one of the nicest days in ages; I could...
patty2430
New here...sorta
Hey y'all! I was here ages ago. Well, mostly on the...
valkyrja01
Flower Bed Bed Ideas
I was given two white plastic fence panels (similar...
xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
Sponsored Products
Flos | Archimoon Soft Table Lamp
$425.00 | YLighting
Lenox Adorn Signature Flute - 827763
$29.95 | Hayneedle
Sample-Highland Cinderglow Marble Tile Sample
$2.99 | TileBar
Altus Ceiling Fan with Optional Light by Modern Fan Company
$280.00 | Lumens
Progress Lighting Wall Mounted Onion Lantern Collection Textured Black 1-light
Home Depot