intermittent missfires

James.May 8, 2014

i have a 6hp briggs(190cc) quantum with a side draft carb.engine .starts on first pull and runs perfect for the first5 to 10 minutes then develops a intermittent missfire.it feels like a faulty spark plug wire thats jumping to ground occassionaly.installed new plug with same results.engine re starts on first pull with good compression when hot.could the electronic ignition module be malfunctioning after the engine warms up?maybe carbon deposits in the combustion chamber?please help!!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ggoyeneche

Could be the coil, although usual coil symptoms are either completely dead (no spark) or will be OK when cold, and then dead when warmed up.

Substituting known good coil is best way to troubleshoot. Replacement coil for 12XXXXX series Quantum engines is Briggs 692605 or 493237. Cost for OEM Briggs is about $35 to $40; Aftermarket is usually $20 to $25 on internet.

Bookmark   May 8, 2014 at 9:22PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
1saxman

You'll have to pull the shrouds to check it anyway, so check to see if the coil worked loose. If loose, put a regular business card between the flywheel magnet and the coil, which is approximately the correct clearance and tighten the coil bolts. Be careful and keep in mind you're threading steel into aluminum - you don't need a 12" ratchet and a lot of strength.

Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 2:47PM
More Discussions
New Honda HRX Drive System
I see where Honda is presenting a new drive system...
skipmarr
I have a Tecumseh 5hp egine no spark
I measure the ohms from the following. I placed one...
Nutty1269
Reel Mower for Bermuda Lawn?
I was looking at the Fiskars StaySharp Max Reel Mower...
void.pointer
john deere RX75 belt diagram
I have a Rx75 with 9hp motor. I bought it used and...
jeremy_2010
Craftsman Lawn Mower Model#917258860 won't turn left
I just bought a Craftsman Lawn Mower with a 46"...
russph3
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™