Can you use a Sod-Cutter on dead grass/dirt?

viche(7a MD)June 5, 2010

So I killed off a big patch (700 sqft) of poa trivialis about 5 or 6 weeks ago with roundup.

I delayed getting new sod and now the grass has decompossed into a thin layer of dead grass with a lot of dirt showing.

I know I shouldn't till, but I need to prep the area for sod and get it down 3/4" so that the sod lays level with the surrounding lawn.

Can I use a sod cutter when the grass has been dead so long?

I dug into the dirt and their appears to be a little bit of roots left. Soil is clayish.

So if I use a sod cutter, will it just make a mess, or will it cut a layer of dirt (with a little dead grass in it) that is relatively easy to roll and remove?

What should I do?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sebastonz(8-Tx)

My father in law, just used a sod cutter 2 weeks ago or so. He had to move his grass to level it with a new patio that got installed.

Anyways, the spots of his that he had dead grass, cut and pulled up just like the grass cuts. The dirt Was moist, so maybe thats why it stuck together as though it had grass growing in it, it did have roots all through it though imagine that was more of why it worked than the dirt being wet.

His soil was heavy clay.

Bookmark   June 5, 2010 at 2:39PM
More Discussions
spreader settings not on fertilizer bags?
I recently had a soil test(s) on my yard and had a...
hc803
poor top soil
I had what I thought was top soil brought in to fix...
olusteebus
What type of grass grows best is very shady areas in South East Texas?
I live in South East Texas and have many trees and...
dcloteaux1350
Synthetic rattan or Natural rattan furniture?
Guys, I would like to know your opinion. Which do you...
kevin497
Artificial Grass Maintenance?
I'm newbie in gardening. I want to know what kind of...
kevin497
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™