Ammonium sulfate for grass?

palmtreeguyJune 24, 2010

Hello all. I purchased a home with bermuda grass throughout the front and back. I was wondering if it's ok to add fertilizer along with ammonium sulfate to the grass? I'm still learning the ropes on lawn care so any input will be very helpful.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

Ammonium sulfate IS a kind of fertilizer.

Most important for Bermuda is regular watering with 'enough" water and mowing to the right height. Get this lawn watering guide: http://anrcatalog.ucdavis.edu/Items/8044.aspx

Skip the fertilizer until you get the watering and mowing figured out.

Bookmark   June 24, 2010 at 7:08PM
texas-weed(7A)

Do some searching for the Bermuda Bible as it will answer most of your questions.

Bermuda is a nitrogen hog, and it needs lots of it, 1 pound per 1000/ft2 every 30 days.

Ammonia Sulfate is a fertilizer, but a piss poor one at that for most folks. It is 21% nitrogen which is a good thing, but 24% sulfur. Great to use if you have alkaline soils, but a disaster if you have neutral or acidic soils which most people have.

For Bermuda the best fertilizer you can use is a slow release urea formula like a 39-0-0.

Bookmark   June 24, 2010 at 7:38PM
ljgundy_hotmail_com

I am really concerned about the what was just put on my grass. I am really a novice at this, but think it is time for me to take charge. They put 25-005 50% ammonia sulfate on the lawn and it is dying. I am watering like crazy, but it makes no difference. Isn't it too late in the year for such a high content of ammonia sulfate?

Bookmark   July 14, 2011 at 10:01AM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

LJ it depends. If you have bermuda then you can get away with it. But if you have anything else, it would be a problem. Continue watering like crazy for a few days to wash it through.

If you want to fertilize you can use organic fertilizer but that's all.

Bookmark   July 16, 2011 at 12:34AM
More Discussions
Artificial Turf and Gophers
Hello everyone - newbie in gardening here. If I am...
sallophane
I need a lawn "redo". More weeds than grass and more...
Here's the skinny. We live in Jacksonville, FL. Everybody...
Rich Possert
Two questions on landscape services and lawn maintenance
For the most part I have a pretty normal lawn. Last...
yuag
What order do I restore my lawn?
I live in the CA Bay Area and have a fescue lawn. ...
Brent Villalobos
Is this sod completely dead? Any hope?
Our beautiful sod went from looking like this, after...
knatalie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™