elecric start will not start

buster100(5IN)May 2, 2011

I have a gravely riding mower model 927062. I was cutting grass and engine just died, no spurting so I figure electrical problem. Mower 25amp fuse for start circuit opened and replaced with good fuse. Will not turn over when switching key to start.

I hear start relay click when key to start. The start solenoid has 12vdc on one side then key to start, power does not go to other other terminal going to starter. So this would mean Solenoid is bad? Correct?

I want to verify or get thoughts, I do not think this would cause mower to just die.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roadbike

I wonder if you don't have a dead short somewhere.

When you say the dead fuse was replaced with a good one, was that a new fuse? Or did you check it if it's used?

Bookmark   May 3, 2011 at 8:28AM
walt2002

Well you need to do some more checking yourself. Can you turn the engine by hand - engine not seized? Have you tried jumping from battery directly to the starter? Are you sure the clicking you hear is not the "Interlock" rather than the starter solenoid?

You DID turn the PTO off before trying to start?

Engine model number is always helpful.

Walt Conner

Bookmark   May 3, 2011 at 9:38AM
rustyj14(W/PA)

How old is the battery? Any battery more than 3-4 years old is usually not capable of starting the engine! Yeah, i know--some of you have used the same battery for 5-7 years, by putting an aspirin tablet in each hole, or closing yer eyes, putting a silver dollar in each hand, and jumping off the barn roof!
In my experience-the most i ever got from a battery was 3 years, or less.
Better check that battery. Is it the kind that might need distilled water every now and then. A lot of people neglect that important fact. Pry off the caps and look in the holes. If you can see water covering the tops of the plates, it is ok. If you can see the tops of the plates, get some distilled water, and yer wife's turkey baster, and insert some water into each hole, until it is slightly below the bottom of the threads. NOTE: Do not use City water! Use distilled water, or rain water in a pinch.

Bookmark   May 3, 2011 at 1:07PM
javert

IMPORTANT INFO: - buster, you've got walt2002 willing to help and asking for a little more information. Respond to him. He's one of the best on this forum!

Bookmark   May 3, 2011 at 6:28PM
More Discussions
PTO Problem on my Lawn Mower
I was just outside mowing and I hit an obstruction...
amburton98
MTD mower runing rough
My MTD mower is running rough. It is hard to start...
latunda
Sears 6.75 B&S 21" push mower
My 6.75 B&S engine is surging all the time I'm...
gramontj
Lawnboy circa 1967 aquanaut/air buoy evinrude parts
Hi. I am wondering if anyone could be of assistance....
sirlancair
Charger for/charging a Toro GTS 6.75 hp
I recently acquired a several year old Toro GTS 6.75...
bkay2000
Sponsored Products
Henri Studio Hi-Tone Sea Otter Playground Fountain
Lamps Plus
Ceramic 19.25-inch White Pedestal Sink
Overstock.com
Aria Oil Rubbed Bronze Outdoor Wall Mount
$178.20 | Bellacor
Krups Fully Automatic Espresso Machine
$999.95 | FRONTGATE
Hampton Bay Lamp Shades Mix & Match Bavarian Grey Rectangle Bell Table Lamp
$24.97 | Home Depot