Putting in Fescue sod after lawn covered in clover/weeds?

dirklucyJune 9, 2010

I'm in the process of planning to sod my lawn. I am in Marietta, Georgia which is slightly NW of Atlanta. The lawn is currently covered in 75% green clover and 15% weeds with maybe 10% grass. I would like to do fescue as my neighbor has the exact same shades as me and he has a great looking lawn.

My plan is to either get a sod cutter and pull up the existing clover/weeds or just till everything and rake out the old clover/weeds. The area is about 2500 square feet so this might take 3-4 days. Hopefully it's okay to leave the soil exposed as long as I water it before I lay the sod down.

Is there anything that I should be aware of when taking on this task? Is it possible to even turn the current lawn over, put down topsoil, and lay fescue over that?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kevingalaxy

Im sure everyone hre will tell you the best thing to do is kill those weeds from the root - round up / weed b gon, get at them now til fall. In fall then do the sod the grass will have a better chance.

Bookmark   June 9, 2010 at 4:46PM
tiemco

Don't till the soil or turn it over, it will be lumpy and uneven when it settles and your sod will follow the contours. You can lay sod at any time, but it will do better when temps are lower, especially at night, and be less susceptable to disease. You will be watering daily with sod, and in the heat of summer this would also exacerbate fungal problems. Soil prep and condition is pretty important with sod because once the roots extend below the soil it comes with, it will need an environment that is suitable to support it. It would be a good idea to get a soil test now to see what is going on in your soil. If your soil needs corrections and amendments it will be better to do before the sod goes down. Personally I would kill everything with round up a few weeks before the sod goes down. When everything is dead, scalp it, core aerate, then power rake the yard. This will loosen up the soil, making it easier for the grass roots to take hold when they penetrate their original soil and water will be less apt to puddle in any low areas.

Bookmark   June 9, 2010 at 11:12PM
john_in_sc

Not only will it be lumpy -- there is a good chance that you will stimulate 10,000 years worth of viable weed seeds into sprouting.... and that between Fall and next spring -- you will grow a 3' tall wall of weeds, small trees, and every flavor of wild grasses that ever grew in the area...

Thanks

John

Bookmark   June 10, 2010 at 9:52AM
More Discussions
What do I need to have a decent(not show quality) looking Lawn?
First, thank you in advance for the assistance. I have...
mat2cam
Which order to do these tasks?
This spring I need to do the following to my lawn : Aerate,...
tonyjambo
Need help with my grass
Each year my grass is having more dead spots and brown...
jbpadgett09
Applying Prodiamine with Backpack Sprayer
Hi All- Hoping Morph or another GW expert can help...
BondBull
Protecting Grass Seedlings from Frost
I planted grass two weeks ago and have been watering...
mikec
Sponsored Products
Gold Star Table Clock by David Scherer
$183.95 | Bellacor
Crocodile-Embossed Luggage Tag
$40.00 | Horchow
Paillette Pitcher
$170.00 | FRONTGATE
Scotch Club Pendant by Marset
$593.00 | Lumens
Shades of Blue Pillow Cover
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
Exquisite Red 8'x10' Mihrab Design Heriz Serapi Hand Knotted Wool Area Rug H7052
BH Sun Inc
Mitchell Leather Sofa - Brighton Breeze Green
Joybird Furniture
Honeycomb Mandala Cool Grey Wallpaper R1890, sample
Walls Republic
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™