Mower spitting oil out of exhaust

OgukuoMay 16, 2012

Ok, I'm that guy. I flipped my Husqvarna 5521CM mower (with a Honda GCV160 motor) over last week to clean out some built up clippings.

Now it won't start, and it spits oil out of the exhaust each time I pull to start it.

The air filter was dripping with oil and the spark plug was not dry either.

I've already cleaned out the air filter with gas and let it dry, and cleaned the spark plug. I gave the mower a good 20 pulls with the spark plug out. When I reassembled everything, it went right back to spitting oil out of the exhaust and not starting.

Rebuilding the carb is well beyond my skill set, and I'm rather hoping to avoid the service shop. Is there anything obvious that I'm missing?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ogukuo

Just an additional note: I've tried what I described above 3 times now, and each time the air filter is just dripping when I try to start everything again. I don't know if it's oil or gas spitting out the exhaust, but I've run completely stuck.

Bookmark   May 16, 2012 at 8:15PM
1saxman

Carb will be no problem. The air cleaner is not serviceable - replace it. The muffler is still full of oil which probably is not letting it breathe enough to start. Take the air filter out - spray some starting fluid in the carb throat and see if you can get it to start. It will smoke pretty bad for a few minutes and blow out some black goo. Before starting, check the oil and make sure it's good.
BTW, are you sure you have the fuel valve turned on?

Bookmark   May 16, 2012 at 8:19PM
Ogukuo

Thank you, Saxman, you hit the nail on the head.

Starting fluid and a new filter has it running like new!

And the fuel valve was on, that is the one thing I was sure about :).

Bookmark   May 16, 2012 at 10:54PM
More Discussions
snow throwing
older blower. 7hp, 24" width, 14" auger....
joe_mn
Craftsman ZTS 7500
Going to look at a used one of these tomorrow. Anything...
radlee30458
Craftsman ZTS 7500
Going to look at a used one of these tomorrow. Anything...
radlee30458
Mclane 20" mower at Sears... why so inexpensive?
Hey everyone, I want to get yall's input on a mower...
bobbarker14
I have a Tecumseh 5hp egine no spark
I measure the ohms from the following. I placed one...
Nutty1269
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™