Swapping Honda engines and decks

john_wa(8)May 5, 2010

I have a Honda HRB217HXA (8 years old) with a good engine but the hydrostatic transmission is dead. I have a chance to buy a Honda commercial HRC215 with a bent shaft with an asking price of $200 on craigslist. I have several questions, the first being is that a fair price for essentially the deck and transmission. The second question is will I be able to easily swap the engines. I'm thinking not as my mower is belt drive and the commercial Honda's I believe are shaft drive. In addition, mine has a Xenoy deck and I believe Honda commercial mowers are steel. I have never done anything this complicated before but I'm able do my own maintenance on my mowers, two lawn & garden tractors and other lawn equipment. Any advice from you mower mechanics out there would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot,

John

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
1saxman

I would replace or repair the transmission in the HRB. This will be the most economical and expedient way to get a mower on the lawn. I do not believe the swap you are considering is practical.

Bookmark   May 6, 2010 at 11:38AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
john_wa(8)

saxman thanks for your opinion. I'm thinking swap as the dealer quoted me $300 for a new transmission (unrepairable he says) and at least $200 for labor and other necessary parts. Since I paid $700 for the mower new, $500 plus tax for a repair seems ridiculous to me. I might as well buy a new mower.

Bookmark   May 6, 2010 at 8:17PM
More Discussions
Came home with a new mower
After I threw in the towel on my LB 10323, I decided...
pacochu
Honda Harmony HRB215 HXA - Left Rear Wheel Problem (Hydrostatic Drive)
The engine on this mower runs great, but there is a...
phoenix_55
Lawnboy circa 1967 aquanaut/air buoy evinrude parts
Hi. I am wondering if anyone could be of assistance....
sirlancair
Gas leak in Toro CCR 3650 Snowthrower
Hello all, I know this is a lawn mower forum, however...
jlaak5
Craftsman 6.6 Eager 1 917.377321 won't stary running
The only way I can keep this mower running is to take...
fresno99
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™