New sod bumpy over tree roots

sojay(8a)June 19, 2011

I just had centipede sod installed yesterday and I am concerned with one area that has big tree roots sticking out of the previous lawn. All they did was tiller the area till it looked fluffy, and then level with a rake, and then they placed the rolls on that, maybe adding a few bags of topsoil. The roots can be felt so much through the sod that you can easily trip on them. Shall I ask them to pull it up and add a lot more topsoil? When we talked about the job ahead of time I was assuming they'd put out a truckload of soil, not just a few bags.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cearbhaill

If the tree is living then those roots need to breathe- you will smother that tree. Redesign the sod plan and leave an adequate area around the tree free of sod.
If the tree is dead dig out the roots and prep the area properly before laying the sod.

So yes, call them back.

Bookmark   June 19, 2011 at 9:10PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sojay(8a)

Thank you for your response. Wow I didn't think of that, so thank you for alerting me. I promptly started researching articles about exposed roots, but after initially being quite alarmed, I'm wondering if it would do so much harm if the area of grass under the tree is only less than a quarter 'pie slice' of the surrounding of the tree, with the rest being natural, the pine straw droppings are left in place as mulch, also immediately around the trunk, maybe 3-4' radius only mulch. The exposed roots are, I believe, mostly due to erosion. On the other hand, I'd hate to loose this old growth 50+' loblolly pine with a trunk circumference that requires two people to reach around.

Bookmark   June 19, 2011 at 11:20PM
More Discussions
New bermuda sod just installed
It is 30 degrees here and I was told to water every...
420benz
Help! My lawn needs to recover from years of neglect.
I posted this on the organic lawn forum as well. We...
NVL4
Lawn issues (tree roots drying out lawn, uneven ground, grading e
I have been a long time lurker, but this is my first...
tomormatt
Artificial Grass Maintenance?
I'm newbie in gardening. I want to know what kind of...
kevin497
Bermudagrass seeds from big box store
I had great luck with a certain name brand seed last...
ReelJake
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™