Toro - only one wheel drive

oppalm(6)May 10, 2010

I have a Toro Personal Pace mower 6HP GTS. Both rear wheels drive the mower (usually) . However this year only the right rear wheel is working (driving) the mower. The left rear wheel moves freely , but the power propelled drive is not working on it. Any ideas as to what is causing this problem?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rdaystrom

The wheel clutch on the pinion gear on that side is not engaging. Either dirt or to much grease has it jammed up. You might free it up by flushing with a solvent or with WD-40 and then a "little" grease. This clutch needs to be assembled exactly right so if you take it apart be sure you get it exactly together the same way. Pretend it's a watch you are taking apart. It's that critical or it will not work. Print out a picture of the parts for reference from Toro's online parts site.

Bookmark   May 11, 2010 at 2:00PM
oppalm(6)

thanks. I figured I should probably take the wheel off and check it out.

Bookmark   May 11, 2010 at 9:32PM
metal(6)

Go here:
http://www.toro.com/
Click on Customer Care and then a new window opens. Type in your mowers model number, it will bring up 4 or 5 choices depending on year. Click on one that is close. Under "Manuals and Parts" click on Manuals. Open the file called: Toro/Lawn-Boy Walk Behind Power Mower Drive Systems Manual [ English ]
Once it opens go to page 5-2. This section will tell you everything you need to know and has diagrams of how everything goes together.

Bookmark   May 12, 2010 at 11:03AM
rainbowss(z6)

One wheel drive could be very useful when turning =P

Bookmark   May 14, 2010 at 4:51AM
More Discussions
Honda HRX217
Had it for 10 years and is the best mower I ever had....
bob3d
B&S OHV 6.5 won't start
If I prime the engine 5/6 times it starts on the second...
mvron
Mclane 20" mower at Sears... why so inexpensive?
Hey everyone, I want to get yall's input on a mower...
bobbarker14
New Toro Push Mower?
I am looking to replace an 11 year old Toro Recycler,...
seashells18
Craftsman ZTS 7500
Going to look at a used one of these tomorrow. Anything...
radlee30458
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™