Flowerpot Made From Rain Boots

spedigrees z4VTSeptember 23, 2013

This past spring I purchased a pair of mud boots with a pretty design from an online catalogue. Unfortunately they proved to be much smaller than the size they claimed to be, and the online reviews confirmed that they ran several sizes too small. Thus I exchanged them for two sizes larger, to find that they fit my feet but constricted my legs (and I do *not* have fat legs!)

After getting over my aggravation with this company, I decided to make lemonade out of lemons. I cut off the tops of the boots and used these and an empty plastic wide-mouthed jar to make a decorative flower pot, leaving me with a pair of shorty boots that fit well.

I planted nasturtiums in the flowerpot. Should have snapped a picture but didn't think of it until after the frost nipped them and it was too late. Still substandard in quality, the boot top on the flowerpot had faded from the sun to the point where the bright colors were nearly white. Fortunately I have another boot top for next year.

Don't buy these boots whatever you do!! But if you already have, here's a good way to make the best of a bad purchase! LOL!

This post was edited by spedigrees on Thu, Sep 26, 13 at 12:37

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
threekittens_ia

I have a couple pair of cute kids boots but I'm going to plant directly in the boots.

Bookmark   September 23, 2013 at 7:57PM
laurastheme(8)

spedigrees, what a beautiful idea!!!

Bookmark   September 24, 2013 at 9:33PM
sunnyca_gw

Bet the planter was lovely with the flowers blooming in it!! You can get a pic of that next yr. TFS Jan

Bookmark   September 24, 2013 at 11:17PM
oldcrafty(8)

So cute and still a nice pair of rainboots!

Bookmark   September 25, 2013 at 3:28PM
garden2garden(z8 FL)

I'm glad you were able to at least save the bottoms of the boots to use. Good idea to just cut them off.
And clever to reuse the top too. It's not everyone that has a flower pot that matches their boots! (and a spare for next year! lol)
This weekend on a tv show I just happenned to come across while flipping through channels, there was a fellow doing 'upcycle' kids crafts and he did a similar thing with the cut off sleeve of a sweater and a tin can.

Bookmark   September 30, 2013 at 10:03PM
mjowest(5)

I spray painted mine with chalkboard paint- you can use them as a porch, front door greeting decoration!

Bookmark   October 3, 2013 at 12:56PM
More Discussions
Hanging Garden Globes
Here's one of my favorite garden junk projects ever:...
janetgia
Dehydrator trays
Does anyone have ideas for recycling food dehydrator...
hokypuk
Satellite dish
My first attempt at painting a discarded dish that...
oldcrafty
Craft fairs and Garden Junk
I know this really isn't the time of year to find Garden...
toomuchglass
glass insulators
WWYD? A friend gave me close to 100 glass telephone...
chickiebabeblue
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™