Is it feasible to have broken connecting rod repaired?

hma215kMay 4, 2008

HELP!!

I have an 8-year old diligently maintained Honda HR215KHMA Master series lawnmower (GXV140 engine) that performed flawlessly until last fall. It began acting up - the electric starter would fire up, the motor would turn, but would immediately stop after turning. This happened several times, until finally it seized up. The motor has not turned nor the shaft cannot even be rotated ever since.

Several experts diagnosed the problem, based on the symptoms, as potentially a broken Connecting Rod.

Question? Assuming it is the problem, how much would it cost to replace the broken connecting rod?

A ballpark figure would be really helpful as I decide if it is worthwhile getting this lawnmower repaired, or just buying a less sophisticated/expensive mower?

I would greatly appreciate your insights. Thanks in advance for your help.

A Dispappointed Honda Mower Owner

NOTE: I mistakenly posted this message earlier as a follow-up to another message.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bill_kapaun

http://www.planopower.com/store/honda/hr215sxa.shtml

Should give you an idea of retail parts prices. $66 for a rod!
Plus you'd need gaskets.
Possibly piston, crank etc. is ruined?

What I would do FIRST, is remove the valve cover and make sure you don't have a valve stuck open & bent.
That could exhibit similar symptoms.
Of course, I'm NOT an expert!

Bookmark   May 4, 2008 at 11:03PM
nevada_walrus(Boulder City)

I would start by removing the electric starter to make sure that is not what is locked up and jamming things. A thrown rod usually leaves you with a free spinning engine. Even if the rod did break and jammed the engine, it should rotate backwards until hitting the jammed rod.

Bookmark   May 5, 2008 at 2:06AM
rmh3481

Spare short block available from a running Honda 214. If you can use it, let me know.
Thanks,
Bob

Bookmark   May 5, 2008 at 2:34AM
roadbike

Unless your "several experts" own a mower shop and are experienced in lawn mower repair I would not rely much on their opinions. What you need is the experience of a good mower mechanic to actually look at the mower and figure out what the problem is. Unless you have the skills and tools to begin removing parts I would strongly suggest that the job be left to one person who does.

Bookmark   May 5, 2008 at 7:06PM
More Discussions
New Purchase
Well hard to believe that it took over 25 yrs to breakdown...
ewalk
New Honda HRX Drive System
I see where Honda is presenting a new drive system...
skipmarr
snow throwing
older blower. 7hp, 24" width, 14" auger....
joe_mn
Honda HRX217
Had it for 10 years and is the best mower I ever had....
bob3d
Craftsman ZTS 7500
Going to look at a used one of these tomorrow. Anything...
radlee30458
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™