front wheel drive vs rear wheel drive

shortlistMay 18, 2012

pros and cons of front vs rear wheel drive push mowers.may get 20 small lots to cut,best mower for say 300.00.durability is what im lookn for.thank you for any and all replies.shortlist

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bill_kapaun

ON a FWD- IF you use a rear bag, as it fills, weight comes off the front wheels and you lose traction. Especially going uphill on damp/wet grass.
Reversing direction is easier.

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 12:08AM
twelvegauge(8)

Traction advantage to rear wheel drive.

Manuevering advantage to front wheel drive: To stop forward movement, push down on handle to lift front wheels off the ground; from this position, you can easily turn or back up.

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 11:39AM
1saxman

'Manuevering advantage to front wheel drive'

No. There is no advantage except cost in a FWD mower, and you pay much more than the difference over a couple of years in downtime, parts and aggravation.
I really don't get how people have that idea about the FWD being easier to maneuver than RWD. Approaching a turn-around, you let go of the bail, which disconnects the drive. At the same time you push down on the handle to raise the front wheels and you pivot. As the mower lands on the ground, you just squeeze the drive bail to drive off down the new row. It is actually the exact same procedure as with the FWD, except on the FWD you don't have to let go of the drive bail.
And for this you would suffer with an inferior product plus pay to replace it before its time after you get tired of replacing belts, wheels and axles?

Bookmark   May 20, 2012 at 2:05PM
roadbike

I used a FWD Toro for several years then replaced it with a RWD Toro. The FWD system can certainly be used to mow a lawn. It works best on relatively flat surfaces and you will definitely have to push some to get it up hills. The RWD design will provide much better traction on hills simply because there is more weight on the wheels and they spin much less. It will take little if any effort to get it up a hill. Both designs can be maneuvered equally well.

As Saxman notes the primary benefit of FWD mowers is lower purchase price.

Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 10:53AM
More Discussions
I have a Tecumseh 5hp egine no spark
I measure the ohms from the following. I placed one...
Nutty1269
Came home with a new mower
After I threw in the towel on my LB 10323, I decided...
pacochu
John Deere L110
The mower has been sitting for 3 years, it ran when...
paddlingjohn
Engine trouble! B&S 13.5hp
My old Heritage ride-on has a Briggs& Stratton...
Over_here
Looking to replace the LB
I've been using a 2003 Lawnboy 10323 for over a decade...
pacochu
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™