30 inchers

mowernutJune 18, 2014

Does anyone have experience with the Toro or Exmark 30" inch commercial mowers? One thing I noticed is exmark states a single speed transmission and toro states variable speed. I'm guessing it's variable by slipping the belt which seems to me like excessive wear on it. Just something I never thought to ask about when I was looking at both of them recently. They are noticeably heavier but balanced fairly well. I know toro owns exmark, but do they put a little more quality into the toro? Just curious.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
1saxman

Toro 'Variable Speed' is the manual version of 'Personal Pace', controlled by a conventional bail instead of a sliding handle. The belts are designed to slip and seem to last for a long time. The Personal Pace system was invented by Lawn-Boy before Toro owned it. I think LB called it 'Automatic Drive' or something like that. I've been using the Lawn-Boy versions of 'Personal Pace' and 'Variable Speed' since about 1998 and I have yet to replace a belt. My current two 'Variable Speed' mowers have been in service since 2004 and 2008 respectively.

Bookmark   June 19, 2014 at 5:06PM
More Discussions
Shindaiwa T18 Trimmer TK Carb Rebuild
During the process of cleaning and replacing the diagphrams...
sjsmithjr
Best self propelled walk behind mulching mower
Hey Guys and Gals, in the market for the best all around...
mowman07
Toro Zero turn
Having trouble with Toro Time cutter ZT4200,Koehler...
Amy Bebensee
Lawnboy circa 1967 aquanaut/air buoy evinrude parts
Hi. I am wondering if anyone could be of assistance....
sirlancair
2 cycle (Robin) Snapper
Does anyone have any input on whether that Robin 2cycle...
wegrowhair
Sponsored Products
Narita Mitey Cart - 777RD
$43.99 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™