30 inchers

mowernutJune 18, 2014

Does anyone have experience with the Toro or Exmark 30" inch commercial mowers? One thing I noticed is exmark states a single speed transmission and toro states variable speed. I'm guessing it's variable by slipping the belt which seems to me like excessive wear on it. Just something I never thought to ask about when I was looking at both of them recently. They are noticeably heavier but balanced fairly well. I know toro owns exmark, but do they put a little more quality into the toro? Just curious.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
1saxman

Toro 'Variable Speed' is the manual version of 'Personal Pace', controlled by a conventional bail instead of a sliding handle. The belts are designed to slip and seem to last for a long time. The Personal Pace system was invented by Lawn-Boy before Toro owned it. I think LB called it 'Automatic Drive' or something like that. I've been using the Lawn-Boy versions of 'Personal Pace' and 'Variable Speed' since about 1998 and I have yet to replace a belt. My current two 'Variable Speed' mowers have been in service since 2004 and 2008 respectively.

Bookmark   June 19, 2014 at 5:06PM
More Discussions
I have a Tecumseh 5hp egine no spark
I measure the ohms from the following. I placed one...
Nutty1269
Honda HRX217
Had it for 10 years and is the best mower I ever had....
bob3d
Briggs and Stratton spark plug confusion
I've got a B & S opposed twin 422707 on a Craftsman...
yt125
Bad ignition coil magneto on Tecumseh
Is there a more economical solution to replacing a...
don_v
Mclane 20" mower at Sears... why so inexpensive?
Hey everyone, I want to get yall's input on a mower...
bobbarker14
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™