New Here - Meet My Family

pixie_louSeptember 12, 2011

I don't even know how I stumbled upon the Garden Junk forum, but somehow I did and I've been very inspired by all of your projects. At the same time, I was quite disappointed to find out that I had not invented Terra Cotta people.

I have a 6 year old daughter and we are in the process of creating a whimsy garden for her. We have the terra cotta family, a flowering teepee, moss steps and a fallen tree planter. So far.

I thought I would share my Terra Cotta famiy. Terra Cotta man is still a work in progress so I haven't glued him together yet or given him his pumpkin face. Even though I have been quite inspired by the other elaborate terra cotta people I have seen on this forum, I like mine how they are.

FWIW - nothing was purchased to make these people. Enjoy!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luvidaho_2010(5/6)

Your family is so cute! Very creative. I hope to create a garden with my granddaughter, I have several ideas for projects with her. I will have to wait for her to get a little bigger-she is only 8 months old right now.

Bookmark   September 12, 2011 at 11:59PM
sunnyca_gw

Very cute! I love the colored "skirts" on the ladies!! I think a coat hanger twisted would make some arms as I really think the little girl should hold something in her hands! Your 6 yr old can decide what, flowers or a little rake or shovel etc. A small watering can that she painted a pic on & you sealed with some clear spray might work too. Have fun with your project! They get so excited about things like this when young. Enjoy every minute!! My 6 yr old is now almost 42, she was Halloween baby!!She & kids had a fun garden this year so pass it on to your kids, too! Jan

Bookmark   September 13, 2011 at 12:37AM
concretenprimroses(4B NH)

Sweet!
Have fun.
Kathy
ps WELCOME to the forum!

Bookmark   September 13, 2011 at 8:39AM
oldcrafty(8)

Welcome.....your little family is adorable! I agree some "arma" would be the finishing touch. Hope to see more of your creations soon.

Bookmark   September 13, 2011 at 11:13AM
laurastheme(8)

What a cute little family! Love 'em!

Bookmark   September 13, 2011 at 6:10PM
Purplemoon

Welcome Pixie, you'll really enjoy the gang here and all the neat stuff. It would seem you've already posted your own too. Very cute TC family.

hugs, Karen

Bookmark   September 13, 2011 at 8:24PM
nanatricia

So cute !!! Welcome to the GJ !!

Bookmark   September 13, 2011 at 9:41PM
kylslil1(8b)

so cute! i love pot people...and i've been wanting to make some for a long long time. i agree with the others about the arms, but i loooove the skirts on them. especially the yellow one, i love the shape on that one. welcome!

erin

Bookmark   September 13, 2011 at 10:16PM
pixie_lou

thanks every one for the warm welcome.

kylslil1 - The yellow skirt was some type of decorative pot. I think it is supposed to look like a tulip.

sunnyca - your comment reminds me of Picasso and the Sylvette sculpture - Sylvette needed something to hold in her hand.

I did think that arms would look nice, but I couldn't quite figure out how I wanted to attach them. I like the hangar idea. That'll give me some incentive to get the clothes to the dry cleaner - so I can get some wire hangars! I'll see what I come up with.

I spent the day today mulching that whole area. You can no longer see the pallet pieces that the family is standing on - it's all mulched with wood chips.

Bookmark   September 13, 2011 at 11:20PM
Marlene Kindred

Welcome to the forum Pixie! Glad you joined in. Your terra cotta family is just sweet and your idea of a whimsy garden is just wonderful. I hope you'll show us your creations as you go along!

Bookmark   September 14, 2011 at 5:39PM
More Discussions
Anybody on here from say 10 years ago?
looking for someone because I lost touch with them...
gardnpondr
Looking for fellow aussies - I've got glass to get rid of!
Hi Folk I started on the exciting journey of glass...
aussie_mum
Using paint samples outside ?
Hi all ! I was wondering if anyone knows if we can...
Lilyfinch z7 mid tn
Working with crushed gemstones
Maybe this is a question to a wrong forum, but I see...
briergardener_gw
Changing landscape
We moved in 15 years ago. In the process of cutting...
arcy_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™