Preen killed grass

jeanniemarieJune 17, 2014

Landscaping around the house, removed mulch and layed down some preen. It rained heavy and the preen ran off and into the yard killing a large patch of grass. How long before I can reseed this area.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
AgroCoders(6)

It should state on the Preen Instructions and Cautions. My mom and neighbors uses it an the weeds eventually come back same season so it's not long lasting. She's taken to often using white vinegar and Preen afterwards as cheaper and more effective than Round-Up and something that will last a couple of months.

Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 4:55PM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

Sorry to hear about that. Can you stretch to the end of summer before seeding? Seeding in summer is the very worst time of year for new grass. The grass doesn't become sturdy enough before the heat gets it.

But if you had mulched the area, why did you Preen it? Wasn't everything dead under the mulch?

Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 6:25PM
jeanniemarie

We removed some bark mulch under some large windows in a solarium because artillery fungus developed in the mulch. It is impossible to get rid of this fungus and when the spores shoot more spores onto the windows and siding it is very difficult to remove. We are going to put decorative stones here instead. The Preen was to keep weeds from growing during the transition. A large patch of grass is crispy brown after the Preen runoff.

Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 3:14PM
AgroCoders(6)

I was actually going to use mulch but have changed my mind because of all the loose cats that wander the neighborhood use the mulch as a little box.

I will plant up tightly in English lavender and fairy roses were I want to mulch instead.

Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 3:18PM
More Discussions
Need help with Soil Test...
Hi, I hear that soil test is important for the lawn...
Hubert Materski
Electric push mower vs Gas mower self propelled
I recently fired my lawn service and decided to do...
tuber1974
Fescue Recommendation
Hello, we are about to see our yard and need a recommendation...
bsstokes
Two questions on landscape services and lawn maintenance
For the most part I have a pretty normal lawn. Last...
yuag
Need help with grass type for southern CA
My lawn went bad last summer...bare spots, brown, etc....
mschug
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™