How to repair broken cement swans

frankielynnsie(7B)September 22, 2012

Today I got 2 very large cement swan planters. They both have broken necks with chunks of missing cement. The rebar is showing. I have been researching how to repair them but wondered if anyone here has ever rebuilt missing parts of a cement statue with good results. I have read about using bondo, epoxy putty and portland cement. I can't wait to get them fixed and put out in my yard. They are very graceful looking. I thought I would also fill any other cracks and re-paint. Any insight on the best method would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindasewandsew(So Cal 9)

I'm no expert, but have repaired a few concrete yard animals. Any construction adhesive should work. It helps to drill holes in the 2 pieces with a masonry drill bit and put some sort of dowel where you can. The holes don't have to match up perfectly. Drill them a little larger than the dowel. It just adds a little more strength with less chance of it snapping off again. Clean off any adhesive on the outside before it dries. Some of that stuff is not paintable. Fill the holes and cracks with any material that will hold up outside that can be painted. Use exterior primer and paint. It should hold up just like it does on your house. If you paint them dark first, then dry brush a lighter color over it, the dark paint left in the low points can mask some damage. Hope that helps. Linda

Bookmark   September 24, 2012 at 2:29AM
toomuchglass(5)

I have a cement deer in my yard and the ear fell off. I glued it back on with E-6000 and it's held up for years .

Bookmark   September 24, 2012 at 3:59PM
frankielynnsie(7B)

Thanks for the info. Did you use dowels in the sections that had missing chunks and had to be remade out of bondo or cement?

Bookmark   September 24, 2012 at 8:13PM
concretenprimroses(4B NH)

Be sure to post a pic when you are done. They sound great!
Kathy

Bookmark   September 24, 2012 at 8:56PM
toomuchglass(5)

I was lucky that the broken off ear fit perfectly in the break. If I had to fill in a chunk, I think I'd use grout to fill it in , then seal it. Some grout has acrylic polymer added for strength , it works really good.
Good Luck !

Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 12:34PM
Calamity_J(z7bc)

I had a guy powerwash and when he went to put stuff back...he did this...grrrrr!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   September 29, 2012 at 1:21PM
tehuti

I have use Bondo successfully for many repairs. I recently repaired several "mistakes" on a few cement cast. Sometimes I hide the repairs sometimes not (kintsugui - but I have no gold) On these recent repairs I simply use Portland and water mixed with PVA (Elmer's white glue). Mix about a 1/4 teaspoon to a cup of water +/-. Be sure to wet the surface you are repairing with the same water/PVA mix before applying the patch.

Here is a link that might be useful: Repair - it broke coming out of the mold

Bookmark   October 11, 2012 at 4:09AM
Calamity_J(z7bc)

Robert, the link did not work.

Bookmark   October 11, 2012 at 12:04PM
tehuti

Drat! I hate it when that happens. Thanks for the heads up. This is the picture of the repair I mentioned. This vase came out of the mold in several pieces.â Although broken pieces can be mortared together and artfully concealed in this instance I wanted the repair to be boldly apparent. So after sanding off the white slurry I removed some of the mortar along the cracks and refilled them with a mix of white Portland cement and a bit of yellow craft paint.

Bookmark   October 11, 2012 at 2:48PM
More Discussions
Looking for fellow aussies - I've got glass to get rid of!
Hi Folk I started on the exciting journey of glass...
aussie_mum
Changing landscape
We moved in 15 years ago. In the process of cutting...
arcy_gw
New here...sorta
Hey y'all! I was here ages ago. Well, mostly on the...
valkyrja01
Glass Totems at Longwood Garden
I was amazed to see several glass totem bird baths...
frankielynnsie
glass insulators
WWYD? A friend gave me close to 100 glass telephone...
chickiebabeblue
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™