oops -- removed bottom of wine barrel

Matthew GraysonSeptember 23, 2013

I removed the bottom of a half wine barrel today and ignored the little voice in my head that said the bottom might be holding the whole thing together.

Well, now I have about 30 pieces of a half wine barrel.

Is there any easy way to get this thing back together? I saw videos of people assembling them upside down, but the pieces don't like to stay together while I'm assembling.

Unfortunately, any solution that takes more than an hour or two is really not worth it, since the thing was $30.

Plan B: Any creative uses for the pieces from a wine barrel?

Thank you thank you,
Matt

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jlily(Z6)

I have NO solution to your problem. No uses for the pieces, either. BUT I have learned NOT to take off the bottom of a half wine barrel. I'm sure someone here will be more help than I am. JLily

Bookmark   September 24, 2013 at 9:59AM
cnm1(6 Oh)

Use the bottom as the center and the attach the sides pieces around it to make a rustic flower. If there are 2 metal bands, they would make rustic sphere set in the garden

Bookmark   September 25, 2013 at 9:56AM
Matthew Grayson

I should mention that I have a fairly modern patio/garden. Well, I will....it is being built soon.
I was thinking I could use the wood slats as the wall of a raised bed (screwed to two horizontal pieces). I like the flower idea though. It might make for a casual seating area or perhaps as a sort of mulch/standing/harvest area under some fruit trees. Thanks!

Bookmark   September 25, 2013 at 12:08PM
cnm1(6 Oh)

If you paint the flower - it could given a more finished look for a modern patio. Though I think mixing rustic and modern can look good, warms it up a bit

Bookmark   September 26, 2013 at 5:29AM
bulldinkie(pa)

I had a starling think our one barrel was a bird house,he pecked cork out went in the hole

Bookmark   September 29, 2013 at 10:05AM
unbiddenn

I went outside and took a look at my barrel, just to imagine what i would do with all those sticks. I would use an old ugly plastic pot, cut the bottom out and bury it in the dirt, then fill it with soil and 'plant' the sticks in it all around the edge to ..kinda... Form the same shape as the barrel originally was. I would intentionally leave spaces between some of the sticks, leave some crooked even. I would line it first with chicken wire, then moss and dirt, like a topiary. I would top it with an upside down tomato cage and do the same to it.
It may be necessary to wire it tight to shape. And it would certainly be labor intensive to make, but imagine it planted with a sedum, or several different types of sedums hardy to your zone, or whatever succulants are. Plants tucked into the spaces between the sticks.

Bookmark   October 11, 2013 at 7:55PM
unbiddenn

Like this

Bookmark   October 11, 2013 at 7:59PM
Matthew Grayson

nice idea!

Bookmark   October 11, 2013 at 8:08PM
annedickinson

wow.. great idea. I love succulants and this is a wonderful way to use them. (and the fallen apart barrel)

Bookmark   October 12, 2013 at 4:45PM
nancyjane_gardener(Zone 8ish North of San Francisco in the "real" wine country)

You can also look up images for uses for wine barrels. There are chairs, bars, art, planters....OR you can send all of the parts to me! LOL Nancy

Bookmark   October 22, 2013 at 1:00AM
More Discussions
Working with crushed gemstones
Maybe this is a question to a wrong forum, but I see...
briergardener_gw
Old shutters into kitchen island and more
http://theownerbuildernetwork.co/easy-diy-projects/diy-shutter-turned-kitchen-island/. Really...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
Dehydrator trays
Does anyone have ideas for recycling food dehydrator...
hokypuk
Looking for fellow aussies - I've got glass to get rid of!
Hi Folk I started on the exciting journey of glass...
aussie_mum
Anybody on here from say 10 years ago?
looking for someone because I lost touch with them...
gardnpondr
Sponsored Products
Kichler Leanora Chrome Chandelier 9-Light
PLFixtures
Junot Purple 18 x 18 Floral Throw Pillow
$57.95 | Bellacor
Palermo Sectional Oversized LAF Side Panel-Sand - Sand
$89.50 | FRONTGATE
Patio Umbrella: Galtech 9-ft. Aluminum Bamboo Patio Umbrella
$122.01 | Hayneedle
Molina 24 x 24 Decorative Pillow
$80.95 | Bellacor