Replace old fescue lawn

charleshx(10b)June 8, 2013

My original fescue lawn (appr. 2000 sq.ft) was once replaced because of bermuda invasion. The grass was killed with round-up (unfortunately there is no barrier between the lawn and my flower beds, much of the flowers were harmed, many killed). , then the "grass" was removed and new sod was placed. Now bermuda came up much faster and in a few years the lawn is shot. Apparently, the bermuda rhizomes were too deep and also infiltrated the flower beds and came back to the lawn, also the once a week gardener brings in much infestation with his mover.
One neighbor replaced his lawn with plastic, I don't like plastic and also it is very expensive.
What should I do, please advise. Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

Where do you live? Zone 10b, if you are in the US is likely to be South Florida or South Texas. Fescue is not a good choice for the hot zones. Your issue is one good reason for that.

If you want to change to St Augustine you have a shot at getting rid of the berumda in the lawn but not in the beds. If you want to sacrifice your beds for a few months, you can try to get rid of all the bermuda with two doses of RoundUp sprayed a week or so apart. Water after the first spray to try and get any/all weed seeds to sprout. Then when those are growing, hit it again with RU. Then you can try the futile fescue again or change to St Augustine. Good care of St Aug can work against the bermuda and eventually knock it back to the point where you don't even know it's there. I'm doing that right now and it's working fine.

What is your goal with the lawn? Is shade an issue at all?

Bookmark   June 8, 2013 at 11:39PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
charleshx(10b)

Actually i Don't know the zone designation. We are in Capistrano Beach, half way between Los Angeles and San Diego in Orange County, California, 3 blocks from the Pacific Ocean even with some water view. Weather is temperate, hot times only for 2-3 days in Sept when the Santa Ana winds blow from inland. Just now we don't have sunshine for days (June gloom) and temperature will not go higher than 74 F. This zone extends about 1/2 mile from the ocean and has a totally different climate than the rest of the land.Shade for the lawn is not an issue, it gets at least a half a day of full sun when the sun is out.
The goal? Just a nice looking lawn which does not brown out in winter like the bermuda.
The vogue here is tall fescue called Marathon laid from sod. Having Bermuda, St Augustine is a no-no, I believe the homeowners association would strenuously object protecting the neighbor's lawns.
The procedure outlined in your reply was followed before. The new fescue lawn was nice for a year or even two but then the bermuda came back.

Bookmark   June 9, 2013 at 1:19PM
More Discussions
Re-seeding tall fescue in winter
My tall fescue lawn has become really sparse. So I'm...
LeonidasBigalowIV
Lawn after so much snow…what do I need to know?
A newbie here so I haven't maintained a lawn for a...
Pippin
spreader settings not on fertilizer bags?
I recently had a soil test(s) on my yard and had a...
hc803
Some suggested low maintenance grasses
Zone 5B, S.W. Nebraska Hot summers, typically dry....
deviantnic
Bermudagrass seeds from big box store
I had great luck with a certain name brand seed last...
ReelJake
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™