Abandoned lawn

myjasminebaby(Houston)June 25, 2014

I plan on purchasing an acre of land that is in a wooded area. The tenant died 2 years ago, and no one has mowed or tended to it at all. It is impossible to walk around the whole property but from what I can see, there is very little grass, if any, and tons of tall weeds and bushy weeds have taken over. We plan on getting a brush hog in there to initially cut it all down because it's nothing our mower can handle.

My question is: then what? I have always rented and really have no idea how to revamp a yard like this. Do I have to kill off all of the weeds with Round-up? Will this kill grass or other plants that I want to keep? Nearly the whole acre is covered in weeds,so how do I cover such a large area? Then how do I get new grass growing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

Do I have to kill off all of the weeds with Round-up? No.

Will this kill grass or other plants that I want to keep? Glyphosate (the generic "roundup" will kill almost anything it is applied to if it's actively growing. It doesn't know what you want to keep.

Nearly the whole acre is covered in weeds,so how do I cover such a large area? Take advantage of the opportunity to reduce the amount of lawn you have to take care of by setting up shrub areas, native grass meadow area, more trees, and flower beds.

They are more work in the beginning, but they don't need weekly mowing.

Then how do I get new grass growing? Don't, until you have a good landscape plan. Just mow the weeds short.

========
Here's what I would do ... get a friend who can identify plants and figure out what you have that is truly a "weed" versus worth keeping.

Draw up a "what I want to end up with" plan ... the areas for entertaining, vegetable gardens, kids play area, etc.

Accept that you will kill yourself if you try to get it all done this summer ... and probably can't afford professionals.

Is there a house on this land? If you plan to build, don't waste any time or energy on a lawn until after the build is over.

Bookmark   June 25, 2014 at 6:40PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

Can you post a picture? You said it was a wooded area. What does that mean? How much shade is in there? Shade will limit your possibilities.

Bookmark   June 26, 2014 at 9:52PM
More Discussions
Shady lawn in winter - what seed is best?
Hi, I have a small garden in London, England. Because...
Blighty
Artificial Grass Maintenance?
I'm newbie in gardening. I want to know what kind of...
kevin497
New bermuda sod just installed
It is 30 degrees here and I was told to water every...
420benz
I need lawn renovation help in Zone 7/8
I want to renovate my 24,000 sq ft lawn. The problem...
tless195
Bermudagrass seeds from big box store
I had great luck with a certain name brand seed last...
ReelJake
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™