High RPM's on Briggs and Stratton

jla74June 15, 2009

So I just aquired a push mower with a 7 hp b and S on it. I started it up and full throttle it went. I checked the throttle linkage and got no response until physically moving the throttle on the carb. I assume I have a problem with the governor so I took the engine apart and everything looked good. What I don't know is if there are any type of springs on the governor or is it just the weights that fly out with increased speed? I dont have any springs attached but didn't see any in the crank case either. Any help or pictures of a known good governor would be helpful. Thanks

Jason.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
baymee(LehighValleyPA)

There is at least one spring used, but I'm not sure of your engine's arrangement. The spring would probably hook to a linkage at the carb and hook on a tab towards the front of the engine.

Bookmark   June 15, 2009 at 5:17PM
baymee(LehighValleyPA)

This picture is a typical 6HP governor spring appearance. On the right side of the picture where the spring is attached is a tab which you can bend to vary the engine rpm. If it's within specs, don't bend it.

Bookmark   June 15, 2009 at 5:58PM
vtwillett_aol_com

Halfway through mowing my meadow my riding tractor took off as if it had been whipped and spurred. The engine was revving faster than it ever has during normal mowing. The throttle control had no control. I managed to ride the racing mower back to the garage, passing my stunned neighbor like I was driving an out of control go-cart. (I literally took air when my racing machine jumped from the ditch to the driveway.) How do I get the motor to run normal again? Thanks.

Bookmark   June 15, 2011 at 2:01PM
bill_kapaun

IF the mower sat over the Winter, it's possible the carb butterfly has gummed up in the wide open position.

Remember, if the engine isn't running, the governor tries to open the butterfly. IF the throttle lever was left in the high speed position.....

Bookmark   June 15, 2011 at 2:48PM
More Discussions
Mclane 20" mower at Sears... why so inexpensive?
Hey everyone, I want to get yall's input on a mower...
bobbarker14
Honda HRX217
Had it for 10 years and is the best mower I ever had....
bob3d
Advice Needed on a Used Mclane Reel Mower
Hello! I live in Southern California (San Fernando...
hbcsc153
Snapper commercial refurb
This is the 1986 snapper 21500PC that I found in the...
snapperfreak
Need Craftsman mower grass bag
I have a very old, but really good condition Craftsman...
olddaddy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™