Toro 22056 idle when blade brake on

ken51June 16, 2014

I just picked up[ a used Toro 20056 Super Recycler. It runs great except when I let go of the handle and the blade brake engages, the idle is lower and not as smooth. It sputters and pops to a slight degree. As soon as I start mowing again with the blade brake disengaged, it idles up and runs very smooth. Is this normal? I have already cleaned the carb and intake, changes the oil and put fresh gas in. The plug and air filter are brand new. Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
1saxman

When you clutch the blade, the engine loses the blade's flywheel effect at the same time the governor lets the throttle close a little while maintaining the governor RPM setting, probably around 3000 RPM. You might expect the engine to sound different at this time. I think it may have a sticky valve, but its not really a problem since the engine responds to the governor and runs properly under a load. You could try using a mild solvent in the oil and gas to see if that helps. Get some Marvel Mystery Oil at Wal Mart or any auto parts/supply. Put 1 oz in the gas tank and 1 oz in the oil. The measure doesn't have to be precise - a little more won't hurt anything. Give it about two or three cuttings to see if it makes any difference.

Bookmark   June 16, 2014 at 7:23PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken51

Thanks for your input. I put some MMO in the oil and gas but haven't really used the mower to cut the grass yet.

Bookmark   June 16, 2014 at 9:00PM
More Discussions
Champion Spark Plug lack of quality
Picked up a set of RJ12C's to have on hand when I do...
yt125
Snapper commercial refurb
This is the 1986 snapper 21500PC that I found in the...
snapperfreak
Craftsman ZTS 7500
Going to look at a used one of these tomorrow. Anything...
radlee30458
B&S OHV 6.5 won't start
If I prime the engine 5/6 times it starts on the second...
mvron
John Deere L110
The mower has been sitting for 3 years, it ran when...
paddlingjohn
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™