Repurposing old CDs and DVDs??

mrs_tlcOctober 30, 2012

Hello. I'm looking for a way to keep birds and other critters out of my garden. I saw some CD's hung on a string over a sailboat over the summer and thought that might help and also have heard of people making flowers out of old CDs. I would love it if anyone had any picture ideas to share!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chelcass(Z5 Michigan, U.P.)

I make windchimes out of mine. You can use silverware or as I did glass beads. I use fishing line for my string. I used E6000 to glue the beads onto the fishing line.

Bookmark   October 30, 2012 at 1:17PM
amigirl(Fl 9)

You can make earrings and pendants out of them. Check the Internet as how to. You put them in the microwave for 5 sec. then cut them with x-acto knives into different shapes.
Different CD's produce different colors.

Sue

Bookmark   October 30, 2012 at 7:18PM
mrs_tlc

Love the wind chime idea. I want something to keep the birds out of my tomatoe and that may work. I am also kicking around a larger project idea! I have to build new raised garden beds next year so I just may start collecting old CDs/DVDs from friends that would otherwise end up in landfills and doing a mosaic mural on the raised bed sides!! It may end up not being anything great or it may be really pretty........we'll see!!

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 8:35PM
elaineal(z8AL)

I take two and glue them together with labels inside. Then
drill a hole through both and use a barrel swivel used in fishing to make a hanger. I use fishing line because it is light and this will make them spin real easy. The light they create will spook birds out of trees they are placed in. Also, I like seeing them spinning from inside the house.

Bookmark   November 2, 2012 at 9:50PM
dcarch7

Microwave the CD to get an interesting design.

dcarch

Bookmark   November 6, 2012 at 9:27AM
More Discussions
Did this work?
This is our wedding car from "78. It was used...
nancyjane_gardener
Recycling old purses in the garden!
I would have never thought of this myself! I sure wish...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
Satellite dish
My first attempt at painting a discarded dish that...
oldcrafty
A Birdhouse Trellis
Here is a birdhouse trellis I made this summer from...
kirkus
Looking for fellow aussies - I've got glass to get rid of!
Hi Folk I started on the exciting journey of glass...
aussie_mum
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™