Patchy St. Augustine

karyn(9)June 22, 2014

Any way to get this grass to fill in itself across many patchy dead areas on a lawn? We are trying to improve curb appeal to sell a house with this stuff as the front and curbside lawn in FL.

It's nasty grass for a lawn, but almost the only thing used around here. I've read there is no seed for it - so how does one get it to spread and fill in dead areas?

This post was edited by karyn on Mon, Jun 23, 14 at 16:11

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karyn(9)

Looking closer - here's a pic - it's filled with weeds too - more than grass in some areas. So the plan is some kind of week killer and fertilizer too I guess?

I have a ton of Miracle Grow Lawn Food (granulated sprayer type) so figured we would start with that...but really have no clue about this stuff.

BTW - We have well water and can water it all we like though it's the rain season right now and gets tons of water regularly...

Bookmark   June 23, 2014 at 4:10PM
lou_midlothian_tx(z8 DFW, Tx)

It looks like you're mowing very low. It should be 3 inches. You can use end hose weed killer (make sure it is safe for st augustine!) that will get the job done quickly.

I don't know about Miracle Grow product but a cheap 15-5-10 or something similar should help get them fill in fast as long as you're mowing at 3 inches height.

Bookmark   June 23, 2014 at 6:10PM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

Agree. Set your mower to the highest setting and weld it in place. It never needs to be lower than that. You're currently mowing at the lowest setting. That will let lots of weeds in.

When you do water, how often and how long do you water? Like if it rained today, when would you water again?

Read the label on the Miracle Gro and see if there are any temperature restrictions. If not then you can apply at the bag rate. In addition, I would get a 50-pound bag of alfalfa pellets and start using that for the rest of your time at that house. Why? Because you can use it to encourage new growth any time you want to. With chemical fertilizers you have to worry about overdoing it or applying in the sun/heat, or what happens if it rains before or after you apply. With the organic alfalfa pellets (rabbit chow) you don't have to worry about anything. Application rate is 20 pounds per 1,000 square feet. You can apply the same day as the Miracle Gro. The alfalfa will go to work right away but you will not see the improvement for 3 weeks. The Miracle Gro should green it up much faster, but it has those other issues if you're trying to speed up the process.

Bookmark   June 24, 2014 at 8:50PM
More Discussions
Artificial Turf and Gophers
Hello everyone - newbie in gardening here. If I am...
sallophane
Lawn issues (tree roots drying out lawn, uneven ground, grading e
I have been a long time lurker, but this is my first...
tomormatt
What order do I restore my lawn?
I live in the CA Bay Area and have a fescue lawn. ...
Brent Villalobos
spreader settings not on fertilizer bags?
I recently had a soil test(s) on my yard and had a...
hc803
I need lawn renovation help in Zone 7/8
I want to renovate my 24,000 sq ft lawn. The problem...
tless195
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™