Are motors interchangeable among decks?

john703June 29, 2007

Can I put, say, a 300 or 500 series Briggs on a fifteen year old Lawn boy deck?--Does anyone know? Can a mower deck, in general, fit many different motors, or just the one it came with? The Lawnboy I have smokes very badly, but it's a great deck. Aluminum. Very good shape. Was wondering if I could just go buy a $100 dollar mower at Walmart with Briggs on it and install it on the Lawnboy deck. I'm sure the answer is no, but thought I'd check. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rustyj14(W/PA)

I'm not sure about Lawn boys, but most any other make of push or self-propelled lawn mower deck is now drilled for most engines. By that i mean you might have to replace an engine that has the spark plug at the front, and another engine might have it at the back, which is done by turning the engine a half turn around. Some of the controls necessitate turning the engine to hook them up! And the later decks have six mounting holes. Take yer pick!

Bookmark   June 29, 2007 at 10:49PM
mattv21(z9 Houston)

The deck bolt patterns are pretty standard, it seems. The key things you need to match up are the crankshaft length and diameter, and the control locations (or fabricate new cable lengths and ends). Given that Lawnboy put Tecumseh flatheads on a lot of staggered-wheel decks, I'd start my search there. Those engines should be easy enough to find cheap.

Bookmark   June 29, 2007 at 11:22PM
1saxman

John, which model LB do you have? Is it a 4-cycle or 2-cycle? What engine is it?

Bookmark   June 30, 2007 at 12:10PM
walt2002

"The deck bolt patterns are pretty standard, it seems."

Not so IF the original LB was a "real" Lawn Boy, a 2 stroker.

Walt Conner

Bookmark   June 30, 2007 at 1:35PM
john703

Thanks for responses everyone. Saxman1 and Walt2002: it's the "real" 2 stroke. 19" 4 hp S19ZPM. Serial L080C0086. Thanks.

Bookmark   June 30, 2007 at 3:17PM
walt2002

I think you will find that the opening in the aluminum deck LBs is too large for the bolt pattern of 4 stroke engines. You might be able to rig an adapter plate, never had any desire to try that, don't know about your shaft length.

Walt Conner

Bookmark   July 1, 2007 at 12:20PM
john703

Well heck. Sounds like it's more trouble than it's worth. (The trouble of figuring it out, if nothing else). Thanks for your help everybody.

Bookmark   July 2, 2007 at 11:19PM
More Discussions
need a mower
Hi. I'm trying to find a decent self propelled walk...
mjgarden1
B&S OHV 6.5 won't start
If I prime the engine 5/6 times it starts on the second...
mvron
Champion Spark Plug lack of quality
Picked up a set of RJ12C's to have on hand when I do...
yt125
Looking to replace the LB
I've been using a 2003 Lawnboy 10323 for over a decade...
pacochu
John Deere L110
The mower has been sitting for 3 years, it ran when...
paddlingjohn
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™