squishy sod

treelessinmnJune 8, 2013

A year ago we lost a tree in a bad wind storm. After the tree and stump were removed, the contractor laid sod over the area where the tree fell. I watered it and it's growing great. My only problem is that it's squishy. Even when it's dry, it feels like I'm walking on a sponge. That area is also nearly impossible to mow, even on the highest setting. Any ideas on how to fix this? Should I start from scratch?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

"Sod over the area where the tree fell." What does that mean? You mean where the stump was or where the tree landed? I assume you mean where the stump was. What he likely did was grind the stump and leave the wood chips in the hole. That will be a problem. ALL the wood needs to be removed and replaced with topsoil or sand. You will have a problem for decades if you do not remove it.

Bookmark   June 8, 2013 at 11:32PM
treelessinmn

Let me clarify - the sod is over the hole where the stump was removed and an area of the lawn that was damaged from the equipment they used. they did fill the hole with soil.

Bookmark   June 9, 2013 at 3:02PM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

I'm stumped...heh heh.

It should not be squishy if they used real topsoil or sand. If they added any organic matter like sawdust, mulch or compost, then it will be squishy.

Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 1:40AM
More Discussions
hydroseeding this spring or wait til fall?
hello - my lawn took a major hit last year even after...
duk748
Artificial Grass Maintenance?
I'm newbie in gardening. I want to know what kind of...
kevin497
What order do I restore my lawn?
I live in the CA Bay Area and have a fescue lawn. ...
Brent Villalobos
just bought hybrid bermuda sod will be here in a week. any tips? Socal
hello all I live in southern california and have tifgreen...
bnsand210
Artificial Turf and Gophers
Hello everyone - newbie in gardening here. If I am...
sallophane
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™