WARNING Elephant ears and other dangerous plants
Just wanted to add a word of warning to all you garden junkers using plants in your crafts.On the Florida Gardening Forum one of our posters stated that while whacking at some Elephant Ears a bug flew in her mouth and she grabbed at it.Unfortunately the insect did no harm but the Elephant Ear toxins got the best of her and she is in excruciating mouth and throat pain. Always be careful in the garden as many plants can cause injury or burning to eyes,nose mouth and skin.
On the butterfly forum I remember someone who rubbed her eyes after harvesting some milkweed for her caterpillars. She nearly lost the sight of that eye.
While gardening is heaven on earth we must be careful to not let our guard down and end up with injuries from our hobby!
Always wash hands and do not touch your face until you have done so.Teach the kids and grandkids that rule along with the garden fun and we can all live healthy ever after.
Here is an exerpt about the ingredient calcium oxalate in E-Ears that she shared:
"Even a small dose of calcium oxalate is enough to cause intense sensations of burning in the mouth and throat, swelling, and choking. In larger doses, however, calcium oxalate causes severe digestive upset, breathing difficulties and Â if enough is consumed Â convulsions, coma and death. Recovery from severe oxalate poisoning is possible, but permanent liver and kidney damage may have occurred.
The stalk of the Dieffenbachia produces the most severe reactions. These needle-like crystals produce pain and edema when they contact lips, tongue, oral mucosa, conjunctiva, or skin. Edema primarily is due to direct trauma from the needle-like crystals and, to a lesser extent, by other plant toxins (e.g. bradykinins, enzymes)."