Repairing & painting resin statue

giggles1October 22, 2009

"Free-time" at our local auction, I picked up this wonderful garden angel sitting on a pillar, reading a book. She's about 18" tall. Her wings were broken & only wired on.

What's the best thing to use to repair her?

If I use GEII, I won't be able to paint her. Can I use latex caulk & paint & poly???

And, what's the best paint to use on resin? The antique-y blue is chipping. I'd like to do the same color or maybe an opalescent??? Do I poly her after?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
laurastheme(8)

How about this? I googled Lexel faqs and found it. I had thought it was paintable. It was recommended to me by my local hardware store manager when I was having trouble finding silicone.

1. Can I paint Lexel and how long after it is applied?
    Answer: Yes - with Latex after at least 24 hours (for best results 7 days), with oil-based paints after full cure of 30 days. (Not giving enough cure time may result in cracking and peeling of paint because of caulk shrinkage and prolonged tackiness, etc.)
    Bookmark   October 22, 2009 at 1:32PM
giggles1

THANKS! I'm on my way to Lowe's! Needed paint for some other things anyway.
Don't mind spending $$ on repair stuff when the initial investment was $0. lol
I have a giant 3' concrete gnome holding a fish too... wonder if Lexel will work on it too? Hope so. This guy lost an elbow, but it was taped on, so just a matter of some reconstructive surgery! lol Hubby said he had something for the concrete repair, but not sure that can be painted.

Bookmark   October 22, 2009 at 1:54PM
beck_wi(z5 WI)

Wow.. I think this Lexel stuff might be exactly what I've been looking for.
I got a concret bird bath off FreeCycle, but the base is cracked in half. Hopefully, this stuff will fix it.

Bookmark   October 23, 2009 at 1:06PM
garden2garden(z8 FL)

Oh boy, I hope this stuff works for the resin statue. I too have an angel on a pedestal with both wings broke off, mine is holding a bird. Normally I don't mind broken stuff, but I want to put her out in open and this one needs her wings. I tried liquid nails a few years ago. It worked for a while but if I remember right, softened up once our summer heat came. Anyway they drooped off after a few months. Even tried 2 part epoxy and it didn't hold. Being resin I thought maybe a fiberglass repair kit might work. Anyone know if that would work? Has anyone successfully repaired broken resin statues? I'd like to try the Lexel it says it bonds to a whole lot of things, (and super clear, too!) but I'd like to hear of any other things that have worked too.

Bookmark   October 23, 2009 at 2:25PM
More Discussions
Meep Meep
It's been blistering hot here. The pictures posted...
tinfoilhat
glass insulators
WWYD? A friend gave me close to 100 glass telephone...
chickiebabeblue
Changing Landscape part TWO
The time has come. A new idea is a must come spring....
arcy_gw
Dehydrator trays
Does anyone have ideas for recycling food dehydrator...
hokypuk
Looking for fellow aussies - I've got glass to get rid of!
Hi Folk I started on the exciting journey of glass...
aussie_mum
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™