Wrong Herbicide

BermudairmoJuly 14, 2014

Guys I use a bag of weed and feed on my bermuda lawn designed for St. Augustine that included 1.38% of atriazine. Also the bag had 29-0-4 on it,

I have also included a photo from yesterday that shows the bermuda to be healthy. Did I kill my lawn or will it be able to with stand my mistake? Look forward to the feedback.

This post was edited by Bermudairmo on Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 7:04

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Not only can Atrizine harm bermudagrass, but I'd be very concerned about any trees or shrubs that are planted where their roots mingle in the rhizosphere with the grass.

Atrizine is often recommended FOR St. Augustine to control broadleaf weeds and certain grasses. Actively growing bermuda is one of the grasses that can be controlled in St. Augustine.

You'll find all of the information you need on the label, especially the warnings.

I strongly urge you to research or get professional guidance regarding more appropriate pre-emergents. Ditch the 'weed and feeds' entirely in favor of timely and balanced separate fertilizer applications.

Your local Extension service is usually a good place to get lawn care advice...never a big box outlet.

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 7:36AM
Bermudairmo

I understand. I just picked up the wrong bag. But at such a low dosage of 1.38% active in a 14 lb bag applied to a full 5000 square foot lawn area will it be ok?

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 8:05AM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

Wish I could help or even be encouraging. I've seen atrazine herbicides used on St Augustine, and it's pretty effective against everything, including bermuda. It takes awhile to see the results, but eventually they seem to get the job done. Here's something I could ask about. Reread the directions on the bag very carefully. Do they say to water the grass and apply while the grass is wet? And did you do that? Most people do not, so they get poor results with weed-n-feed. If you did not do that, then there's a chance that the atrazine will just decompose in the soil. You won't know the answer for weeks.

I agree about ditching the weed n feed products. Besides making a mistake like this, it is better and less hassle to fertilize the grass and weeds, then spot spray individual weeds with a liquid like Weed-B-Gone.

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 4:10PM
Bermudairmo

After 1 week applying the wrong herbicide. The Bermuda is very tough and thick hopefully it will make it!

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 7:14PM
awakener

I have two quarts of alion I need to sell if anyone is interested. Text 912 226 6061

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 10:25PM
Bermudairmo

Now at 2 weeks since I put the wrong Weed and Feed on my Bermuda. Still hoping my Bermuda will survive the Atriazine.

This post was edited by Bermudairmo on Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 19:50

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 7:10PM
Bermudairmo

Maybe this is a better picture

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 7:48PM
Bermudairmo

1 week later. I am hoping now I am over the Atriazine scare.

Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 6:42PM
More Discussions
Velocity herbicide
I have had Poa Annua n triv for many years. It almost...
hoganjr
What's wrong with my lawn, what do I do in Spring?
I live in Eastern Washington and believe I have Kentucky...
jebuzzz
where do I even start with this hot mess of a yard?
Hi! New to the forums, been a lurker for years! We...
chelseahasrouni
Need advice on stopping water flooding sidewalk
So I bought my house a couple of years ago, have had...
dafts
Shredded Paper on the Lawn?
Ok, so spring is here and my lawn has really greened...
forsheems
Sponsored Products
Ivory Dream Castle Sheet Set
$54.99 | zulily
Frankford Umbrella 6.5 ft. Square Commercial Grade Market Umbrella - 454CAM-PBA
$434.87 | Hayneedle
Black Ego Swivel Bar Stool - Chrome Base
Zuri Furniture
Magenta Ego Adjustable Height Swivel Bar Stool with Chrome Base
Zuri Furniture
Pom-Pom Voile Ombre Euro Sham
Grandin Road