OT Deer

krnuttleJuly 19, 2014

Over the past couple of years, we have had a doe and 2 fawns (now nearly grown) in our yard and the surrounding wooded area. Usually they sort of graze through.

The last week we have had about 7 deer doing the same thing. We noticed one may have a problem with her leg, which causes her to limp.

In the wild will deer herd up to protect an injured member?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
duluthinbloomz4

May have been hit by a car or snagged jumping a barrier. Deer do recover from collisions - even severe ones - and broken or fractured bones can heal in time. Nothing to be done if the deer can still walk.

A herd in your yard would likely protect an injured member if you tried to approach causing you some pretty good trauma, but in the wild a deer that can't graze and feed itself will just starve to death.

This past record breaking winter culled our herd - haven't had one in the yard yet this season and I live just off the edge of an in city nature preserve. Five feet plus of snow on the ground and weeks of sustained temps in the minus 30-40o range took care of our neighborhood grazers. I'm seeing plants actually bloom for the first time in a handful of years.

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 12:25PM
More Discussions
Texas Weed Bermuda Bible
What follows is a generic calendar of recommended lawn...
texas_weed
Lawn vs. Dogs
I'm dogsitting for the next year. It's the first time...
zone7patti (7b)
Which order to do these tasks?
This spring I need to do the following to my lawn : Aerate,...
tonyjambo
New Ant Hill on top of Grass Seedlings
I put down a layer of topsoil in my front lawn before...
mikec
Beneficial Nemotodes or Milky Spore?
I have an awful problem with slugs every spring, lasy...
lisaw2015
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™