Modifying Rotary Mower

crombold(8)June 10, 2014

I have a very uneven lawn and was planning on sand leveling my lawn. However a thought popped into my head while using my rotary mower. Does anyone have any experience/advice about taking the wheels off of my rotary mower, and adding a front a rear rolling pin, similar to a reel mower? My thought is that this will prevent the deck from dipping unevenly and burning my grass without having to sand level it. My main concern holding me back from doing this is the front pin will push the grass down right before the blade makes it pass.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tomplum

Interesting idea. Maybe fashion one for the rear and start there. In my thought processes, you may still want a free turning wheel on the outer ends to aid in maneuverability.

Bookmark   June 11, 2014 at 9:37AM
crombold(8)

Good point. Wasn't thinking about how it would affect maneuverability. On the flip side, if I don't change all 4 wheels there's still an opportunity for a wheel to find a low spot and drop the deck. It's definitely a catch-22.

Bookmark   June 11, 2014 at 7:56PM
tomplum

Maybe you could create a 6 wheel wonder.

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 12:08AM
crombold(8)

Now that's an idea! Creates more points of contact to prevent the dipping in low spots, but should still maneuver better than two rollers.

Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 10:48AM
1saxman

Find an offset-wheel Lawn-Boy. The right front wheel is well back and near the mid-point of the deck. Helps prevent scalping on hillocks. No need to 'reinvent the wheel' - pun intended.
You probably should do the leveling too. In zone 8 I guess you have Bermuda which spreads into the sand quickly.

Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 8:30PM
More Discussions
Bosch Rotak 36 Rotary Lawnmower
I am currently studying for a Horticulture qualification...
jen9716599
John Deere L110
The mower has been sitting for 3 years, it ran when...
paddlingjohn
New Honda HRX Drive System
I see where Honda is presenting a new drive system...
skipmarr
JD L100 and LA100 series trans oil change
I have a JD L118. It had a K46 trans that failed at...
fix_it
Champion Spark Plug lack of quality
Picked up a set of RJ12C's to have on hand when I do...
yt125
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™