Briggs 13.5hp OHV Intek smokes & burning oil
My Briggs & Stratton single cylinder 13.5hp Intek lawn mower smokes when starting the engine, changing throttle speed, or when starting the blades. The smoke appears to be gray in color, and it uses a few ounces of oil in an hour and a half of mowing. The spark plug has carbon and oil residue on it. What do you think the problem is?
So far I have checked:
- compression 120 - 130psi (3 - 5 cranks) Is this good?
- valve guides seem ok; the valves do not bottom out when turning engine; each valve moves about 3/8 - 7/16"
- rocker studs tight
- pulled out both push rods; they are both straight
- readjusted both valve clearances for .005in
- when cranking over engine (valve cover off & spark plug out), oil spews out from around the the lower pushrod area
- checked the reed in the oil breather; it is clean and not cracked or chipped; seems to be working properly
The Briggs engine is:
Type 0117 E1
Thanks for your help!