Painting on old plates - centers for plate flwrs?

concretenprimroses(4B NH)October 23, 2011

Some years ago Toomuchglass/Kathy shared/sent to those of us who wanted them some little flower plates that she had found by the hundreds at a local TS. She recently sent me a bunch more from her collection of plates because I love them as centers for pfs. Here is a pic of 5 out of 6 of them (the yellow one I have used up on pfs.):

Aren't they just perfect?

I love them and I am sad that I seldom find other plates that look like flowers to use on my pfs.

So it occurred to me that I could get a bunch of white saucers at a TS and paint them with ceramic paint. I was in a town 60 miles away on friday that has a Michaels and looked at Pebeo cuz that seemed the most permanent. Wow. Pebeo 150 is quite expensive. I only bought 3 colors, plus a black "pen", and a gold outliner.

Here are my preliminary experiments, but I haven't cooked them in the oven yet. I'm hoping the cooking makes them look a little more professional. I have to let them dry for at least 24 hours before baking at 300F for 1/2 hour. BTW I washed off 4 plates that I didn't like.

I also put gold dots on an irredescent red glob. I think I'll put it in the middle of the "blue daisy".

They are a bit bigger than the one's Ive been using, heres a pic to show comparison.

I'll put a couple out for the winter, hang them on the fence some how to see if they last. I have high hopes, cuz the paint is dishwasher safe. It seems like a good use for orphan white saucers.

What think?

Kathy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
toomuchglass(5)

That is awesome !!!! Those look perfect . Once that Pebeo paint is baked - it turns into glass. You can't scrape it off with a razor blade. ( I tried ) I learned the secret -- use very thin coats . You can also bake it more than once for a layered look. Your centers look professional ! I might have to try a few myself :)

Bookmark   October 23, 2011 at 7:13PM
oldgraymare(4 WI)

They look amazing!

Bookmark   October 23, 2011 at 8:05PM
nanatricia

I think they look great!!!!

Bookmark   October 23, 2011 at 9:26PM
kim546

WOW !! They look great...good idea for little white saucers! You inspire me! Kim:)

Bookmark   October 23, 2011 at 10:38PM
sunnyca_gw

Beautiful! You have a lot of artistic ability! Love the colors you used! Jan

Bookmark   October 24, 2011 at 12:38AM
geeme(5)

WOW,, fantastic job!! those are just gorgeous... I have read that you can bake the regular paint from the clothing marker pens... has anyone tried that???? geeme

Bookmark   October 24, 2011 at 11:23AM
concretenprimroses(4B NH)

Thanks everyone.
Maybe the next step is to custom paint a complete plate flower. That would be interesting. Gotta keep an eye out for white dishes or buy some white pebeo 150 to do background on colored dishes. Is so inconvenient not having a Joann's anymore. No where else sells crafts, and I just don't want to pay shipping on one bottle of white paint!
Kathy

Bookmark   October 24, 2011 at 11:35AM
Marlene Kindred

What a great idea! You're just so smart! They look great!

Bookmark   October 24, 2011 at 12:39PM

I cooked them in the oven yesterday. No odor at all.
I followed the directions to put them on the rack while the oven was cool then turned it on. And after I shut the oven off I cracked open the door and let them cool slowly.

They look exactly like they did before. I read that the ivory goes on white then changes to ivory when it is cooked and that is a way to tell the plate is done. These colors seem the same.

Even the glass half marble was fine. And it is much more interesting looking with little gold dimensional dots all over it.

Now to see how they fare outside for the winter!

Kathy

Bookmark   October 26, 2011 at 7:37AM
jeannespines

Great experimenting, crete! Sounds like a new art form in plate flowers! Good luck this Winter!
Jeanne S.

Bookmark   October 26, 2011 at 11:01AM
flowers12

Wow! You are quite the artist. These are beautiful and I wish I had some to use on my plate flowers. Excellent work.
Marilyn

Bookmark   October 26, 2011 at 1:37PM
cheribelle(Z5 IA)

Those are amazing! And right in there with my current project!

Bookmark   October 29, 2011 at 10:20AM

What is your current project Cheribelle?
Kathy

Bookmark   October 30, 2011 at 2:23PM
More Discussions
Re purposing A Window
Hi, I just got all new windows for my house, and don't...
gabby811 6 NJ
Hi all
I couldn't edit the subject...sorry ... I was thinking...
msjay2u
Thinking of turning this old water faucet into a short light post
I figured removing the faucet itself...and adding a...
cadillactaste
Hanging Garden Globes
Here's one of my favorite garden junk projects ever:...
janetgia
Need to repurpose a leaking birdbath
Yesterday was one of the nicest days in ages; I could...
patty2430
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™