Outdoor beads..

posieh(3)October 17, 2011

I was just lookng at an old post, think it was # 23, and you gals were talking about making concrete beads and putting a metal pole inside to hold them in place. I've made alot of stepping stones using old cake pans for molds, but I'm wondering if any of you use Hypertufa instead of just concrete? It's much lighter and I have stuff made 5 years ago that is still good in the garden.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
concretenprimroses(4B NH)

I've always wanted to try hypertufa, just haven't done it yet. Concrete is so easy. What recipe do you use for hypertufa?
Kathy

Bookmark   October 17, 2011 at 8:26PM
posieh(3)

I will have to check my book which is "somewhere"! In the mean time go to the Hyperufa forum here and check it out. Should be formula's there. We use I believe it is called "Sandcrete" or "Quickcrete", and add a fine vermiculte (hard to find), (perlite wants to float) and sometmes add a fine gravel. Makes it lighter than concrete and easy to use. I can mix mine in the basement in the Winter and it dries in 2 or 3 days. Easy to paint or you can inbed things in it. We made the bird baths using large rhubarb leaves. Fun ! Hope this helps. We also made our large rocks.

Bookmark   October 17, 2011 at 9:23PM
oldgraymare(4 WI)

I have a few hypertufa items in my yard too! I also had a hard time finding vermiculite so I started using a vermiculite blow in insulation (lg bag at menards is about $8-10.) Im in Wisconsin and leave them out all winter... no problems so far.. although I do cover them. Here is a totem pole and ball I made.

Bookmark   October 18, 2011 at 4:44PM
jeannespines

Very cool, oldgraymare! TFS! Jeanne S.

Bookmark   October 19, 2011 at 12:28AM
luna_llena_feliz

Love your totem pole, oldgraymare! I would be interested in seeing the beads that posieh is talking about ... sounds intriguing!

Bookmark   October 21, 2011 at 1:02AM
More Discussions
Glass Totems at Longwood Garden
I was amazed to see several glass totem bird baths...
frankielynnsie
msn garden junk-sad
As some of you know, MSN is closing! I am sorry to...
nonacook
Meep Meep
It's been blistering hot here. The pictures posted...
tinfoilhat
Hi all
I couldn't edit the subject...sorry ... I was thinking...
msjay2u
Using paint samples outside ?
Hi all ! I was wondering if anyone knows if we can...
Lilyfinch z7 mid tn
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™