What is a good fast growing grass seed?

edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)July 11, 2011

I recently did some construction work which required me to replace about 4000 sq ft of my neighbors lawn. I had a landscaper power rake it and hydroseed it. Most of the grass has come up, but there are a few bare spots now. Is there a fast growing seed that I can use to fill in the bare spots? I recently bought a 5 lb bag of "Landscaper mix" from TSC, and it's basically a rye grass mix. I used it on my own lawn and it is growing painfully slow, even with daily watering. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tiemco

Perennial rye is the fastest to germinate and grow, but in July those growth rates will be much reduced. Root growth is minimal in soil temps above 70 degrees, and stops around 77. Topgrowth also slows in summer, so growth rates won't be very fast regardless of the grass you plant.

Bookmark   July 11, 2011 at 9:23AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
texas-weed(7A)

As stated perennial rye grass is the champion of fast germination and growth rate, but to be honest any cool season grass in the hot weather is going to struggle germinating and growing. What does germinate will likely burn up in the heat.

Bookmark   July 11, 2011 at 11:34PM
More Discussions
Artificial Grass Maintenance?
I'm newbie in gardening. I want to know what kind of...
kevin497
Why would my neighbor's yard be snowless?
I know this isn't really related to lawn care specifically,...
asm198 - Zone 6a (MO)
Synthetic rattan or Natural rattan furniture?
Guys, I would like to know your opinion. Which do you...
kevin497
What order do I restore my lawn?
I live in the CA Bay Area and have a fescue lawn. ...
Brent Villalobos
Lawn issues (tree roots drying out lawn, uneven ground, grading e
I have been a long time lurker, but this is my first...
tomormatt
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™