How to treat for grubs/japanese beetle with no toxic poisons

fpmom(6)July 8, 2013

I'm new to growing/maintaining lawn and while I am enjoying the process I am getting frustrated trying to work out all the problems and how to fix them
We have 2 dogs and 2 small children and so I would prefer to maintain the lawn organically or at least with the safest least toxic products
I'm wondering if any body can advise how to treat for grubs/japanese beetle without putting down the really toxic stuff that wipes out everything including all the good worms etc (and if I did do this how long before kids/dogs could walk on the lawn?)
My understanding is that the grubs are going to start eating up the grass roots again come end July/beg August through September (we live in New England FYI) - and I would like to kill off the grubs before they kill off my grass again (happened in Spring this year - I got a lot of brown patches in June)
What can I apply that is not completely toxic? Any low grade grub killer out there (not that I could find via research)
I plan to start up a milky spore regime but need something to work during the 2 years I need to wait for that to work
Has anybody tried and had success with beneficial nematodes?
Thanks for any advice - I'm new to this but keen!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
botanicalbill(9b SWFlorida)

Use milky spore. It infects the grubs. It is safe for lawns and will stay active in your soil for years.

Here is a link that might be useful: milky spore

Bookmark   July 8, 2013 at 12:06PM
fpmom(6)

botanicalbill I intend to start using the milky spore but I have read and been told that it won't start working for 2 years and in the meantime my lawn will be eaten up! How did you start a resume with milky spore and what is your experience?

Bookmark   July 8, 2013 at 12:16PM
botanicalbill(9b SWFlorida)

I put mine down about 2-3 years ago. I still have an occasional grub spot, but not near as much. Also, this year I noticed I had very few june bugs, my guess, its working. Up until about a year ago, I would still use pesticides for grubs.

The way this stuff works, you put it down in grid piles on the lawn (there is a spreadable kind now). It washes into the soil and remains dormant. A hungry grub comes along eating your grass roots. When it passes through a milky spore area, it ingests some. the stuff breeds out of control in the grub and it dies from this in a few days. Where that grub dies is a new concentrated spot of milky spore. So for this stuff to really spread through the yard, you need a large grub population. Once you get past 2-5 years, I guess you dont have to worry about the grubs.

Bookmark   July 8, 2013 at 11:40PM
fpmom(6)

Thanks botanical bill
I think I need to use pesticides until the milky spore starts working
It's now mid July - when do you suggest I put something down? And what do you use? What do you think of: Bayer Advanced Season Long Grub Control since I have done nothing so far? Or should I wait for beg August and apply a 24 hr grub killer?
I'm also wondering if the beetles are burrowing back in to the turf to lay eggs - over the last week I have seen numerous small mounds of what looks like 'churned' dirt
I suddenly have a lot of brown patches which somebody suggested could be caused by a fungus since we have had a lot of rain/humidity but I'm also wondering if it's been caused by the grubs too?

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 11:39AM
More Discussions
I need lawn renovation help in Zone 7/8
I want to renovate my 24,000 sq ft lawn. The problem...
tless195
Lawn care novice
I recently purchased a home in late fall and I'm new...
cdouglas10683
New bermuda sod just installed
It is 30 degrees here and I was told to water every...
420benz
Lawn drainage on the cheap?
My husband and I bought a house in November, and have...
galiana
Lawn issues (tree roots drying out lawn, uneven ground, grading e
I have been a long time lurker, but this is my first...
tomormatt
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™