I bought a kids rocking horse at a auction and dismantled it, painted it up and put it on a old lamp pole! I'd like to do 2 or 3 more and make my own little carousel. Dont mind the messy garage...
Nice save, like the paint job & lamp pole makes a great stand. I think 3-4 would be great with each a little different height! Someone over on "Crafts & Decorations forum" had made a black 1, 1- 1 /2 yrs ago that was really beautiful. You could type in painted ponies at top of this forum & over on crafts & several should come up. Jan
Wow! Nice recyling! Love it on that lamp post, too & your painting job is great! I am also in awe of that great 'sun' in front of your window there! Very cool! What a good space to work in! TFS...& good luck on finding some more ponies! Jeanne S.
(I found a little brass one that I'm going to use in a Christmas display window box w/Santa...but it's much littlier than yours! LOL!)
Very nicely done! Great stand.
I too noticed the sun right away.
As for your garage, you don't know from messy!
I like the different height idea!! I was also thinking about trying to rig up a solar turntable type of thing... so it would automatically turn! Something to think about over the winter!
He turned out beautifully! Love the idea of using the old lamp as his pole. I've had one in my craft shed for a year and just haven't gotten to him yet, but yours is inspiring! Thanks for sharing!
Exceptional job! How did you get him to "stay" in that position?
Great idea. TFS. I wish our garage looked as neat as yours!
A girl named Max
Adorable!!! Love the idea of a solar carosel!!!
Carol, I drilled holes in the top and bottom of horse and inserted a piece of pvc pipe (so it stuck out the top and bottom about 10-12 inches). I made it a tight fit. The pole is a old floorlamp and I cut that and inserted the pvc into it on top and bottom. I also jbwelded the pvc to the lamp pole. It seems pretty strong.. I can pick it up and carry it around. I just acquired another horse... a bit smaller, but Im excited to get that one started!
Could you tell me how and what you used to prime and paint it?
and how and what you plugged the side holes with.? PLEASE!!!
Thanks for the info. Did you use a paddle bit or a circle cutter? Mine is one of the smaller Wonder Horses, too. Both sets of legs are drawn up close to the body on it. Love the body color you used with the darker saddle.
Have you worked on the 2nd horse yet, oldgraymare?
Seeing this post again is quite inspiring! Nice work! Jeanne S.
Thanks for all the great comments! Im going to try to answer all questions! Aquawise, I hand sanded the whole thing and then spray painted it with rustoleum. For the saddle and harness colors I also used rustoleum, not the spray kind tho! Then I sprayed the whole thing (about 3 coats) with a outdoor sealer/ poly. For the plugs, I pulled out the wood foot rests and cut them about 3 inches long and reinserted them with some jb weld on them. they were tight to begin with but I thought that would help too. Careful not to push them all the way through!!
Sandplum, I actually used a wood bit and just went really slow. Drilled a pilot hole first.
Jeanne, I have not started on the other one yet as I went back to work for the winter (until April). (just retired in Aug).. They made me a offer I couldnt refuse!!!!
My brother is on the lookout for a geared down motor we can use for the solar carousel. I do have the new horse off the stand and ready to be sprayed.
Thanks again.. Kathy O (lots of Kathys on here it seems!)
Thanks for the help K. I think come spring I can get started on the Three I have. One is Very Large and the other two are a little smaller. AWESOME! THANKS SO MUCH.
Wow...will look forward to seeing more of these ponies in the Spring! Sounds like an interesting project for you, old gray & aquawise! Jeanne S.