Choosing the right lawn mower

jcioliJuly 25, 2012

I have very rough terrain with some rocks and alot of tree roots above the ground and have gone through 3 lawn mowers in the past 10 years. I am going to have to get a new one again. Anyone have a suggestion which is a really good mower for my terrain? One that will last me a long time and withstand the rigors of my terrain? Thanks in advance

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wayne440

Picking up the rocks and covering the roots in your yard might be the logical solution. Or one of these.

Here is a link that might be useful: rough terrain mower

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 9:35PM
ApprenticeGardener(7b or 8)

"wayne440" is on the right trail about the rocks and roots. Your terrain is "telling" you that it will destroy your lawnmowing efforts and machine unless you change something. Even the rough terrain mower in the link (which is a good one) is not going to cut through the hard stuff.

So it's not really a question of which mower, but rather modifying your terrain to be able to mow it.

Best Wishes--Carl

Bookmark   July 26, 2012 at 12:51PM
jcioli

I cannot cut down the trees since they belong to my next door neighbor and they run into my yard. How do I go about covering them?

Bookmark   July 26, 2012 at 3:40PM
snuffyinatl

You may could cut the roots at the property line and pull them up? Or just put soil over them and plant grass?

Bookmark   July 26, 2012 at 5:52PM
ApprenticeGardener(7b or 8)

I was thinking you could create a border on your side of the trees, mulching the ground from there up to the trees, and not having to mow that area any longer. You could also try a low groundcover in the same area. (As to cutting the roots, that risks damaging a tree enough to have it die and possibly fall onto your property). Best Wishes--Carl

Bookmark   July 26, 2012 at 6:37PM
More Discussions
snow throwing
older blower. 7hp, 24" width, 14" auger....
joe_mn
Reel Mower for Bermuda Lawn?
I was looking at the Fiskars StaySharp Max Reel Mower...
void.pointer
Snapper 21 BBC Rehab complete! see pics
Guys, Finally after much effort I finished the Snapper...
quickrick
JD L100 and LA100 series trans oil change
I have a JD L118. It had a K46 trans that failed at...
fix_it
New Honda HRX Drive System
I see where Honda is presenting a new drive system...
skipmarr
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™