Growing clover on sand covered with soil

xplatinumJuly 13, 2014

Hello everyone,

I removed our pool from the backyard and am now trying to grow clover to cover everything up.

The ground is 100% sand in that area which I covered with soil at about 3/4 of an inch. I seeded white clover later (2 weeks) mixed with grass.

The issue is that it started growing fine, sprouts are out mostly everywhere but I think it stopped growing. At least that's what it looks like is happening.

Could it be due to the sand underneath the soil ? I'm thinking that the clover started growing but as the root expanded deeper it came in contact with the sand and now refuses to grow any further.

The picture was taken yesterday. It was seeded around 3 weeks ago and the sprouts are about only 1-2 cm tall.

Please help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morpheuspa

Sand actually can grow grass (and clover), although it does present some challenges.

Here, what looks like what's happening is called "sprout and pout." I'm not sure of your locale, but this is characteristic of both warm season and cool season grasses.

What happens is the plant extends a leaf or three post-sprout, but then spends more of its energy working on the root systems than anything else. This makes sense--without roots, lush leaves can't be maintained. Without many leaves, the root systems do just fine.

Pouting lasts until the root systems are a little more developed. Right now, for northern lawns, pouting is standard--they simply don't grow much in summer. The clover will come out of pout phase much faster, the grass probably not until September.

For now, keep it watered appropriately and skip feeding until temperatures drop for fall (for northern lawns, southern ones differ).

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 3:10PM
More Discussions
Logan Labs soil results...need some recommendations.
Thanks for taking the time to interpret my Logan Labs...
prorange
Tilling soil before planting
I want to establish a new lawn and minimize the returning...
organic_redrover
Type of Grass Question
Good morning all! First post on this site. I am trying...
Bee Rek
Swampy muddy mess!
Ive finally hit that point in life where im able to...
Nickd503
bermuda thin and dry, needs to be revived.
just joined the forum, lots of great info BTW, needing...
tig488
Sponsored Products
Man Laying Metal Wine Holder
Overstock.com
Accent Rug: Lander Espresso 2' x 3'
$97.97 | Home Depot
Tommy Bahama Black Sands Buffet, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
SunStopper Sun Haven 18 x 10-ft. Motorized Retractable Awning - SUNHAV-18X10-MOT
Hayneedle
Florence Knoll Style Sofa
IFN Modern
Monterey 60" Bathroom Vanity Set - Espresso
Modern Bathroom
Florence Knoll Style Armchair-White - 100% Italian Leather
IFN Modern
Gold Table Lamp: 16.75 in. Leaf Vine Hand Painted Antique Golden Sand Mini Lamp
$99.99 | Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™